advertisement

Loadsa Rega!!

You can never have too much Rega!

Interestingly I'm running the same system as the OP but into LRS and cannot fault it.

Dropping the 'speakers is a shame but I can see the rationale when so many other great designs are out there.
You need a USP. The new Kyte has this in the form of very economical enclosures, so in essence you get much of what went into the £800 RX1 for £499, and Rega major on giving great value.

Based on what I read from Rega’s website, it appears they are out of making wood loudspeakers but that doesn’t mean their done making loudspeakers.

“The market has always demanded loudspeakers to be furniture and since the 90’s European manufacturers were left with the choice of Far Eastern manufacturing or inflated prices for home built wooden cabinets. However, recent times have seen the world change styling perceptions and there has been a wholesale investment in modern moulding shapes and the use of functional materials. Injection moulded plastic loudspeaker cabinets are not new but flexible moulded plastic has been reserved for the PA world or small desktop loudspeakers where convenience and portability were a priority over sonic performance. This more recent domestic acceptance of non-wood functional cabinet shapes has allowed Rega to achieve a long term dream. We have made a massive investment into injection moulding of stiff thermoset phenolic resin and collaborated with British company to achieve it. The natural stiffness of phenolic resin is a big advantage which has been further enhanced with ceramic plates and a complex internal cross brace structure. This unique cabinet constructions has been achieved at one third of the price of other British made quality loudspeakers.”

You can never have too much Rega!

Interestingly I'm running the same system as the OP but into LRS and cannot fault it.

Dropping the 'speakers is a shame but I can see the rationale when so many other great designs are out there.
You need a USP. The new Kyte has this in the form of very economical enclosures, so in essence you get much of what went into the £800 RX1 for £499, and Rega major on giving great value.

LRS?
I'm not definitely dropping the RX3 speakers.
But with the end in sight for the RS10s, it means I will probably bring forward listening to them, and comparing them to ATC or Spendor (Don't like the ATC grilles which is annoying).
If the RS10s win through, and are appreciably better than the 3s, then I may order one of the last pairs.

I think it's pretty stupid to worship one company

In the interest of friendly banter I came across the below quote on here. The person who wrote it doesn't need to be named;)
Lets count the number of times Rega are mentioned!!

"Yes, the right cheap turntable will sound good and you'll enjoy it. My system is fairly revealing but a good budget or older turntable still sounds great. If you get the right one..

My top recommendation if buying new or recent would be the Rega P1. It's not as well built as the more expensive Rega decks but it's still solid enough and sounds brilliant. It's ideal as a starter deck because it's very kind to worn old record and gets to the heart of the music. You're unlikely to find a record that won't sound enjoyable on a P1.

If buying used you might be lucky and find an older Planar2 or Planar3 for less than a couple of hundred. They're better built and are 'cooler' but they don't sound that much better than the P1 to be honest. All Rega decks are simple, reliable and can be fixed no matter what goes wrong with them. Little ever does. They are the top pick for budget to mid-range turntables for a reason.

An older deck like the Pioneer mentioned above is a reasonable option. These old Jap decks are well built, sound decent and often have nice features like auto-lift at the end of the record and push-button speed change. They are old though and any old deck is a risk. If the bearing is worn or you crack the lid, you cannot buy a new one. For that reason I wouldn't spend too much on one and only buy if it's in really sharp condition. And they do exist. Lots of people had a turntable on top of their stack systems which hardly got used, a proper Hi-Fi was an aspirational product back then.

I wouldn't buy a Dual 505. They are made almost entirely out of plastic, feel cheap and really don't sound very good. I have no idea why they were so popular. Possibly because they were very widely available, quite cheap and not Japanese? I don't know but anything with a Rega badge on it kills a Dual 505. Kills it, buries it, digs it up and kills it again! A Rega is proper Hi-Fi, a Dual 505 sounds like crap if you plug it into a revealing system. Just...don't.

I would not buy a ProJect deck either. Sound wise, they're alright to be honest. Sound soft and dull next to a Rega but enjoyable and improve a lot if you get the awful budget Ortofon cartridges off them and fit something with more life like an Audio Technica. But the reason I wouldn't buy one is that the build quality is terrible. Yeah, we're talking budget here but they cross the line and do things which are unacceptable at any price as far as I'm concerned. I buy and sell turntables but fun, fix damaged ones and I've had many ProJect turntables apart. They're just horrible. The best way to put is that whatever needs done, ProJect will find the cheapest possible way to do it. And they'll compromise strength and reliability just to make assembly a few seconds quicker. You buy a Rega, in thirty years time it's still going to be working perfectly. Most ProJects will be scrap long before then as the first slight mishap and it'll be broken.

There are other decent options. UK companies like Revolver, QED, Logic and others made solid budget turntables which typically don't sound quite a good as a Rega but usually sell for a good bit less. An AR Legend/EB-101 offers a lush sound for not a lot of money and a suspended Systemdek is a damn good record player if you can find a clean one with a decent arm.

Lot of options but if you want a simple, reliable, great sounding record player the advice is the same as it was forty years ago. Buy a Rega."

Are you piggy joking !
:p

Nooo. He would never worship one company like that;) That's just lazy and stupid:oops:
9 times I count the name Rega!!

I do have to pull the nameless writer up on one thing though. They aren't just the top pick for budget and mid range. I think that does them an injustice. Unless we are counting the P10 as midrange now! Plus, the Naiad? mid range? Yikes, must have more money than sense to call that mid range:cool::p

Fantastic company Rega, in their customer service approach and their use of materials science and engineering to develop products as a primary approach. This has helped them to stay competitive in terms of cost and also improve sound quality. A benchmark for audio companies IMHO.

Nooo. He would never worship one company like that;) That's just lazy and stupid:oops:

I do have to pull the nameless writer up on one thing though. They aren't just the top pick for budget and mid range. I think that does them an injustice. Unless we are counting the P10 as midrange now! Plus, the Naiad? mid range? Yikes, must have more money than sense to call that mid range:cool::p
In fairness, he just sold his RP10 and bought a Linn LP12. Many of us here have a huge appreciation for Rega, myself included, I can’t think of a product I’ve heard of theirs that I don’t like, but there are alternatives. However, I understand your logic in sticking with Rega, if they’re doing it for you, sticking with them and not falling into changing for the sake of changing makes sense.

The idea that certain brands make you more or less likely to go on an upgrade path is frankly ludicrous, at certain times people often fancy a change.

When I counted 7 or 8 times "Rega" in your original post, I gave up reading anymore.

I believe Mr Pig's name is Colin if this help ?
Maybe just ask him ?

That conversation was about somebody asking for an affordable, entry-level turntable model, so in that context the advice was sound - they ARE the top pick for entry-level turntables (versus Pro-ject etc) as their P1-P3 tables are just great value for money and will keep most casual listeners very happy.

When it comes to the P10, then the budget is significantly higher, so there are other tables vying for the best of that bracket, and the buyer is probably after a particular sound or component that will complement their (equally high-end) system.

In saying all that, I had a mostly Rega system at one point, and was tempted to get a pair of their speakers just to 'have the whole set'. There was a pair of R9s for sale early last year that I just missed out on (possibly on here?) - would have been interested to try them as they certainly look the part.

In fairness, he just sold his RP10 and bought a Linn LP12. Many of us here have a huge appreciation for Rega, myself included, I can’t think of a product I’ve heard of theirs that I don’t like, but there are alternatives. However, I understand your logic in sticking with Rega, if they’re doing it for you, sticking with them and not falling into changing for the sake of changing makes sense.

Too many alternatives. That's the problem.
I remember a discussion on another forum about cartridges, as that forum is not exactly pro Rega carts. I got so many options. Now do I test every single cart out there, hoping I may find a better cart, or do I just go with one designed with the Rega TT in mind?
Plus let's be honest, by the time you have tested the last cart, you can't remember what the first sounded like.

Plus how many people can say their full suite of musical electronics was made in sunny Southend?

Turntables is an interesting one. I admit to having never heard an LP12, but they do look special.
It's a question of whether you subscribe to Roy Gandys theory of light but stiff plinths being preferable or not. From an engineering perspective, it makes perfect sense.
I can't see me changing my P10. But if I had more money than sense, or could get Money for Nothing, then having an LP12 on a 2nd system, purely because of the history and looks, would be a nice idea.

@James Morris - just out of interest, what are your tracking and anti-skate set at? I assume you have the Apheta 3 as well. I've been trying different mats recently, but find they all have compromises. Today i've ended up back with the stock flat mat - quite the (pointless) journey!

I’d be comfortable using a Rega cartridge especially with one of their turntables.

The idea that certain brands make you more or less likely to go on an upgrade path is frankly ludicrous, at certain times people often fancy a change.

I'm not saying that.
I'm saying that with the myriad of different options, it's impossible to find nirvana, and some people are constantly searching for it, only to find a certain purchase mucks something up, and on and on it goes.
Thousands upon thousands later, they are still searching.

Reducing your options, it is easier to find that perfect combo.

Change for change sake is another subject altogether, and that is mainly for those that see this as a hobby.

I have no problem with either, but it isn't for me.
I do not see this as a hobby. I can't tell you what all the jargon means. I can't tell you who makes what. Most of this stuff goes over my head.
I do my research before buying, as with everything, as I don't trust company jargon.
Then when I zone in on something my research also zones in on that.
Hence if you ask me about Arcam, I couldn't tell you anything, but if you ask me about Rega, I'd have a pretty good stab at it.

When I counted 7 or 8 times "Rega" in your original post, I gave up reading anymore.

I believe Mr Pig's name is Colin if this help ?
Maybe just ask him ?

As I say, it is all but banter!
I try to instill humour.
Don't worry, I looked back at my original post after I hit send and realised how bad it sounded!
It was meant to be a simple overview, which turned into an essay and badly written, thanks to not thinking about what I was writing.
Quite an embarrassment actually.

My RS10 have their share of blemishes and scars but when I listened to them this year I knew they had to come home with me for the £2000 I think I paid for them. Beautiful sound and they play with the Yamaha AS3000 nicely, I was set to put the replacement panels into my Martin Logans but they’re still untouched and the RS10 gets the WAF vote so I may never get to do the comparison and I’m fine with that.

Sometimes you just enjoy a good product and don’t look further. For all its detail I was wondering if I enjoyed my RP10 as much as the Nottingham Analogue I had years ago but as I posted in another thread recently when I put a granite chopping board between the RP10 and the Finnish Birch ply wall shelf I use I felt I was hearing what the turntable was capable of for the first time.

I’m hoping that’s me done and I’m envious of those who keep certain items for years sometimes decades. My father remained content with the Planar 3 and Creek amp and tuner I led him to in Graham’s, London in the early 80s.

@James Morris - just out of interest, what are your tracking and anti-skate set at? I assume you have the Apheta 3 as well. I've been trying different mats recently, but find they all have compromises. Today i've ended up back with the stock flat mat - quite the (pointless) journey!

I believe it's the Apheta 3 fitted yes.
Edit- yes, my eBay history confirms as such!
As for the rest- pass and pass.
I set the the TT as best I could following the instructions, and then left it.
Not being at home right now, I couldn't tell you what they are set at.
I am tempted to get a tracking gauge though as I probably mucked up somewhere.
Mat wise, the only thing I'd do is get a thicker wool mat, as the stock one is quite thin. Basic felt or wool makes sense to me though.
Believe the LP box set I will shortly be ordering comes with some mat as well. That will no doubt get used from time to time.

My RS10 have their share of blemishes and scars but when I listened to them this year I knew they had to come home with me for the £2000 I think I paid for them. Beautiful sound and they play with the Yamaha AS3000 nicely, I was set to put the replacement panels into my Martin Logans but they’re still untouched and the RS10 gets the WAF vote so I may never get to do the comparison and I’m fine with that.

Sometimes you just enjoy a good product and don’t look further. For all its detail I was wondering if I enjoyed my RP10 as much as the Nottingham Analogue I had years ago but as I posted in another thread recently when I put a granite chopping board between the RP10 and the Finnish Birch ply wall shelf I use I felt I was hearing what the turntable was capable of for the first time.

I’m hoping that’s me done and I’m envious of those who keep certain items for years sometimes decades. My father remained content with the Planar 3 and Creek amp and tuner I led him to in Graham’s, London in the early 80s.

There was a pair of RS10s advertised on eBay for around the 2k mark earlier this year.
I was tempted, but decided it was too soon. Possibly a mistake.

Too many alternatives. That's the problem.
I remember a discussion on another forum about cartridges, as that forum is not exactly pro Rega carts. I got so many options. Now do I test every single cart out there, hoping I may find a better cart, or do I just go with one designed with the Rega TT in mind?
Plus let's be honest, by the time you have tested the last cart, you can't remember what the first sounded like.

Plus how many people can say their full suite of musical electronics was made in sunny Southend?

Turntables is an interesting one. I admit to having never heard an LP12, but they do look special.
It's a question of whether you subscribe to Roy Gandys theory of light but stiff plinths being preferable or not. From an engineering perspective, it makes perfect sense.
I can't see me changing my P10. But if I had more money than sense, or could get Money for Nothing, then having an LP12 on a 2nd system, purely because of the history and looks, would be a nice idea.
To be fair, the cartridge that worked best on my (supercharged) P5 was an Apheta, like it was made for the deck. I couldn’t live with the Elys2 though.

advertisement

Back