advertisement

Living with El Niño

avole

The wise never post on Internet forums
We all do, yet, in some countries , it strikes dread into the hearts of everyone from farmers through small towns through large cities. Unfortunately, this year it is back. El Niño should be a reminder for all if us just how fragile life on this planet is. It is regular, it is devastating, it is difficult to predict especially in terms of severity given it can last up to 7 years. Australia has managed to cope with it, to an extent, particularly in the Southeast.

Here’a a glimpse, and remember, this is the start. https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/special-reports/1653944/drought-dries-up-hope .

Have a look at wikipedia for a decent summary.

Global warming, poverty, hunger, large scale illegal immigration are all made much worse by over-population. Thailand has done a good job reducing population growth and that will help. I can't think of any large city that wouldn't be better with half the population. And I like cities !

Yes, you are right. El Niño was a bit of an unknown to me, until I moved to Oz, and it seems not to get the coverage it should over here in the northern hemisphere. I wouldn't blame everything on overpopulation though - there's eating heaps of meat, which means farmers breed more cows which means more harmful gases pumped into the atmosphere which means factory processing etc, just as one example. The rainforests are possible the biggest issue in terms of what we breathe.

Thailand has, on the other hand added a lot to its own problems, and therefore, ours, in its farmers burning off in spring which makes the air as you head north literally unbreathable, and Chiang Mai , the soi-disant Rose of the North, the world's most polluted city. I made the mistake of travelling on that line to Ayutthaya, which is not so far from Bangkok, and literally had tears running down my cheeks and could only breathe every now and again. I'm not surprised people die because of the burning off.

Bangkok doesn't get off lightly, either. They went as far as running sprinklers during the day in the is a vast city to clean the air, as you'd be aware. Anyway, that's a different topic, although, of course, El Niño means the authorities can't use as much water as they'd like to.

Here's the position from an official Cambodian perspective https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/drought-affects-13-provinces. Note that it is unlikely the foreign powers so influential in Cambodia have allowed more to be said.

Not just hot places that are affected either; we're having a severe drought in Essex uk which has resulted in many reservoirs not filling over winter.

Even if it rains for a few days now that will mostly be absorbed by growing plants and dry soils.

We're about 7 million gallons short, had a similar spell in the early 90s (?)

Planning to build another reservoir this winter which might have to be used every three years if we don't get winter rains.

That's interesting, didn't know that. Where I was brought up, on the family's return to England, water use was regularly restricted, mostly because members of the aristocracy refused to allow any of the land they owned to be sold for reservoirs. Same thing in Melbourne, but reasons somewhat different - see title:)

Haven't been to Thailand yet but KL and Manila were terrible for air quality, a lot of it down to old transport.

Each drag race from the lights in rush hour created a major pollution event with tens of clapped out 2 stroke mopeds smoking away.

Most of the taxis were vintage long before they were converted to Jeepnys.

We moan about the costs of Euro VI compliance but it's certainly cleaned up our cities.

KL is starting to use better diesel at last and not many two strokes left these days. Our problem is smoke from open burning when the weather is dry. It rains heavily nearly every day recently

More dead oran outans. That's what a mate said upon returning from Singapore the other day. They were saying same thing 19 years ago when I was there.

The burning is padi stubble and forest fires. There is some forest clearance in the peninsular, but not for oil palm. Durian orchards is the thing now.

The burning is padi stubble and forest fires. There is some forest clearance in the peninsular, but not for oil palm. Durian orchards is the thing now.
Hmm, that's interesting, I'll pass it on. I gather that paid stubble is the main problem in Thailand.

advertisement

Back