advertisement

Little plastic B&W speakers?

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
Please help my failing memory - what were those little plastic desktop speakers B&W sold, maybe 25 years ago or so? They were small 4" or 5" 2-ways, with what may have been Audax polycarbonate tweeters behind phase plugs that were integral with the enclosures.

A local used record store has them for in-store playback, and they seem surprisingly reasonable sounding.

Please help my failing memory - what were those little plastic desktop speakers B&W sold, maybe 25 years ago or so? They were small 4" or 5" 2-ways, with what may have been Audax polycarbonate tweeters behind phase plugs that were integral with the enclosures.

A local used record store has them for in-store playback, and they seem surprisingly reasonable sounding.
B&W Solid Monitor?

Or LM1?

Found it - Solid Monitor:

pxj8uwwsjknodo5g3wpy.jpg

Hmm, seems like there were two versions, one with the tweeter above the woofer and one with the tweeter below:

s-l1600.jpg

Does anyone remember if one of these is supposed to be the "better" version?

I'm thinking of trying to find some of these on eBay for TV speakers.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Found it - Solid Monitor:

pxj8uwwsjknodo5g3wpy.jpg
Those exact ones (though in black) were the first 'hifi' speakers I owned, bought second hand from a dealer in Brussels in 1997. They served me well with a NAD 310 amp, then a Rega Mira 2000 until 2007. Then I fell into the rabbit hole...
I still have them but they have been relegated to TV duty with the same NAD 310, still going strong some 27 years later.

I've a white pair of the B&W Solids in the system in our bathroom. They're donkey's years old but still work fine. Can't really comment on their ultimate sound quality because they're seldom used & at the end of an ancient Denon combined tuner/amp/CD unit.

Oh yes, the Rock Solid monitors. I have a pair in white, and they sound fab, they also screw to the wall by pushing the stand up behind them.

On this side of the ocean they seem to be going for twice that. There's even a new-in-box pair on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The new-in-box ones were already gone, but I found a set of five TEAM speakers for small money on eBay. They have arrived, all work, and they sound fine for dialog. I'm gonna hook them up to my two TVs. Now I just need two of those little tripath amps and a couple of HDMI extractors.

BTW, the tweeters look like Audax polycarbonate units from the front, but from the back they don't have the Audax twist-mounts, and the magnets look different. So I guess they're Chinese knock-offs of the Audax tweeters. They have little magnet rings glued onto the back for shielding. The crossovers contain two tiny iron-slug inductors, two radial electrolytic caps and a resistor, so it's 2nd order for both sides.

advertisement

Back