advertisement

Liquid Liquid

Gerard124

pfm Member
Cavern by Liquid Liquid - I heard this 1982 track on 6Music this week and am left wondering why the hell I have never come across this band before, yet I've heard Grandmaster Melle Mel (the thieving git - see the observer article below)?

If these guys and been around in Manchester circa 1982 I reckon Tony Wilson would have signed them to Factory.

The track Cavern is available on Tidal - If you have some Tannoys or a nice set up - I reckon its worth a few minutes of your time to sit down for a listen - crank it up!

There is an article about the band on The Observer website - Liquid Liquid: The Most Important NY Band You've Never Heard Of

Quote from Observer Article: True, Principato’s vocals carry a shadow of Pere Ubu’s David Thomas, and there’s a whiff of Can over the whole proceedings (but without ever slipping into Can’s neutron bomb jamalama; even when Liquid Liquid stomp, they do so as if the stage is full of skyscrapers made out of toothpicks). If I was absolutely compelled to make a comparison, well, try imagining R.E.M. if they were a gamelan ensemble and they were performing Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians with Holger Czukay guesting.

LIQUID-LIQUID-2-300x179.jpg

Yes. ESG's debut EP was recorded in Strawberry Studios in Manchester and the A-side tracks were produced by Martin Hannett, and released in the UK on Factory. A band with a similarity of sound to Liquid Liquid and also from the 'no wave' scene in NYC.

I'm sure A Certain Ratio were heavily influenced by this stuff!

Edit: e.g. this track:

Yes. ESG's debut EP was recorded in Strawberry Studios in Manchester and the A-side tracks were produced by Martin Hannett, and released in the UK on Factory. A band with a similarity of sound to Liquid Liquid and also from the 'no wave' scene in NYC.

I'm sure A Certain Ratio were heavily influenced by this stuff!

Well . . . FFS I might as well be honest - following your post I googled ESG and then had a listen on Tidal, damn I’ve heard this band on 6music this year and thought it was new music . . .

Here you go. This might keep you occupied for a bit:

I haven't got this compilation but if you like Liquid Liquid & ESG I think you'll like it :)

I do have another Soul Jazz compilation called 'In The Beginning There Was Rhythm' which contains some music influenced by the NYC 'no wave' scene as well as other danceable post-punk tracks. If you enter "in the beginning there was rhythm soul jazz" on Youtube the first hit is a playlist of this compilation. It includes the awesome '24 Track Loop' by This Heat, which was recorded in 1978. Astonishing to think when you listen to it.

Cheers Nick :) The New York Noise album is on Tidal (minus Liquid Liquid?) I will give it a listen along with the This Heat track.

Hi Nick, I haven't had a chance to give it a listen - way to much going on! my mum got took into hospital, thankfully she is now back home. Will have a listen when I can and report back :)

Great post.

Domino records released this on vinyl and CD a few years back.

Liquid Liquid Slip In and Out of Phenomenon

LCD Soundsystem played their farewell gig at Madison Square Garden in New York City with Liquid Liquid as supporting act, no surprise given the clear influence and James Murphy's love of all things New York and groove!

That Domino comp is excellent.
Around the time it came out they commissioned some remixes, including (aptly, as they took their name from the track) one from the DJ/production duo Optimo, which is pretty faithful to the original

and this mind bendingly great reconstruction from Matthew Dear

advertisement

Back