advertisement

Linux (Mint flavour) swappiness?

Things will get even better if the UK broadband infrastructure ever catches up with other parts of the world and we can start taking cloud computing more seriously (currently the upload speeds are just too slow).
Will never put anything I value from a privacy standpoint (which is anything I deem important to backup) on internet backups. Note I use the word internet because I detest the bs term made up by marketers when they saw diagrams of the 'net that used clouds to represent the 'net!

Off shelf up to 128GB at the mo quite a lot of family photos.

Well the first HD I used had a removable platter of 2.5MB thats right MB and was if I remember about 16" across. Over the next 10 years we had migrated to a 52MB HD that could have one to three fixed 13MB platters and a removable 13MB about 20" across. I wrote a disk image copier to back up the fixed platters to up to 3 removable disks. At the time that was quite unique as backup tended to be by 7/8/9 track tape but was slow compared to my bit copier.

I'm too young, my first HD was 20 MB in the mid 80s, I thought it was the bees...

FWIW I have some old BBC B and ZX Spectrum cassettes from the early ‘80s that still work fine! I watch a lot of vintage computer restoration videos on YouTube etc and it is quite common for the HDD in old IBM XTs and early Macs to still be functional. By saying that I couldn’t get anything off a couple of my old PC hard drives when I tried recently, though they had been sitting down in a slightly damp cellar for a while (there was nothing important on them as I’d taken that before I scrapped them, I was just curious if there was anything else on there).

PS My first PC, a second hand IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 DOS machine, had a 20MB HDD!

FWIW I have some old BBC B and ZX Spectrum cassettes from the early ‘80s that still work fine! I watch a lot of vintage computer restoration videos on YouTube etc and it is quite common for the HDD in old IBM XTs and early Macs to still be functional. By saying that I couldn’t get anything off a couple of my old PC hard drives when I tried recently, though they had been sitting down in a slightly damp cellar for a while (there was nothing important on them as I’d taken that before I scrapped them, I was just curious if there was anything else on there).

PS My first PC, a second hand IBM PS/2 Model 30 8086 DOS machine, had a 20MB HDD!

I had an original Mac II collecting data in my lab from bitd, and the HD was still fine before I had to retire. They were much simpler of course...

advertisement

Back