advertisement

Linto Failure

PaulB

pfm Member
Well one channel on my Linto has failed after 15+ years of largely continuous use (power on). Switched cables around etc and determined that it is without question the Linto. I believe that Linn no longer provides support for older equipment but I'm not sure if that includes the Linto? Had a look on the Linn website but couldn't find the info I needed. Perhaps Class A or Witch Hat are able to service it?

Any information appreciated.

I sent Linn an email late last night and they responded that they do indeed still support the Linto and gave me a quote for its repair. Fantastic, I thought. Linn said to take the Linto to the nearest retailer and sent me a link to find one. To my astonishment i found that the closest authorized retailer in Canada is now in Calgary, 1000km from Vancouver where I am located. There has been at least one Linn retailer in Vancouver continuously since the 1970s when I bought my first LP12. I had my LP12 updated a few years ago locally but apparently that shop is no longer an authorized Linn retailer. Its hard to believe that the second largest city in Canada no longer has a Linn retailer.

It's happened to some extent here in the UK too - a while ago there used to be 3 'proper' hifi shops plus a Linn dealer in the Newcastle U.K. area, now there's only 1 + Linn)

Of even greater concern is now my LP12. I had been thinking of replacing the Akiva and upgrading to Radikal/Urika. But without a local dealer this becomes a much more difficult endeavour. I will have to reconsider whether to move on to something else or persevere with the LP12 and have someone very distant service it.

My best guess would be failed electrolytic capacitors. If it has been left powered up 24/7 for 15 years that would be entirely possible.

Give it to a service technician or a competent DIY'er for them to have a look at it.

I recapped both my Kairn and Klout.

Whoops! Sorry my error. You are right, Montreal is still second largest, Vancouver third. I thought I had read somewhere that Greater Vancouver's population had surpassed Montreal but it seems my memory is faulty. Montreal not only has a Linn dealer but also some of the best restaurants in Canada from my experience.

Sound Plus was a Linn retailer for many years until they closed about 10 years ago. Hi Fi Centre then became a Linn retailer (though there may have been others in the area during the past few years). Sound Hounds in Victoria was also IIRC a Linn retailer for many years but it doesn't appear to be any more as it is no longer on Linn's authorized retailer list. There appear to be none presently in British Columbia.

advertisement

Back