advertisement

Linn's new Klimax DS - thoughts?

I would be tempted, but problem being I'd look to go to the KDSM upgrade to allow the LP12 to use SPACE and remove the KK.... All too expensive after a Solo D upgrade.

Were both DS's using the same SPACE setup in the demo or both switched off?

Both switched off. The rest of the kit was KK and Aktiv Akubariks.

I thought the space optimisation only worked with the speakers on the list. I have a Akurate 0 linked to my Naim system and Neat speakers which are not listed. I have upgraded the software but thought I could not use the space optimisation part as my speakers were not on the list.

Have I got it wrong??
Unfortunately to upgrade the boards to the Akurate 2 is a while off due to wife wanting a new lounge furniture :)

Just pick a speaker of similar size, to allow you to enter the dimensions etc. The level it predicts will be off due to different speakers.... But the recommendation is you tune the level by ear to what works and sounds best any way. Loads of tips and advise on the Linn forum.
Your current DS is fine, it's fully compatible. (Dynamik upgrade is good if it doesn't have it... I did mine)

What is this tune dem business anyway? Can anyone explain it? I've only had Linn stuff for 38 years and have no clue what it is about.

I thought the space optimisation only worked with the speakers on the list. I have a Akurate 0 linked to my Naim system and Neat speakers which are not listed. I have upgraded the software but thought I could not use the space optimisation part as my speakers were not on the list.

Have I got it wrong??
Unfortunately to upgrade the boards to the Akurate 2 is a while off due to wife wanting a new lounge furniture :)

Enter 'Keltik' as your speaker type. They are full range. More info about this on the Linn forums DS section.

Picked up my upgraded KDS today - big improvement (as I'd noticed in the dem originally). Not as big as KDS/0 to KDS/1, but almost! :)

And probably loads more tune too...

Mick

How much for the upgrade? Is it as good as an LP12 yet?

Around £3.2k for the upgrade, and the Renew option is another £1.9k. However if you do go for the Renew option you can then sell that on and recoup a fair bit of the upgrade cost.
Is it as good as an LP12? Yes and no. I'm a firm believer in good mastering and think some digital sounds better than the equivalent vinyl, and in other cases the opposite is true.

Mick

EDIT: I've spent a few hours this evening with the updated box and it's actually a much bigger improvement than I at first thought (and no, I'm not trying to convince myself!)...

What is this tune dem business anyway? Can anyone explain it? I've only had Linn stuff for 38 years and have no clue what it is about.

It's very simple. Play a piece of music while walking round the room.

With most systems, you slouch about. With a good system, you walk purposefully. With a Linn system, you march.

With an Linn Aktiv Klimax GTi 16v Charlie Big Potatoes DSM system, you annexe the Sudetenland in an afternoon.

With most systems, you slouch about. With a good system, you walk purposefully. With a Linn system, you march.

With an Linn Aktiv Klimax GTi 16v Charlie Big Potatoes DSM system, you annexe the Sudetenland in an afternoon.

Plus, even after you've been running your empire for twenty years you'll not have to stop and 'service' everything!

Ah, so more Prat type stuff then - got it now.

Brilliant...

advertisement

Back