advertisement

Linn Utopik power supply

Good afternoon all,

Here you go confirmation in writing from Jon at Ripcaster......

NqDlQjp.png

Any body looking for a pair of cheap Majik 109's??

Regards

Richard

Good afternoon all,

Here you go confirmation in writing from Jon at Ripcaster......

NqDlQjp.png

Any body looking for a pair of cheap Majik 109's??

Regards

Richard
That 109/Utopik option seems to have disappeared from the Ripcaster website. I was just going to call them.....

Anywhere, or just Ripcaster?

Edit: it seems there are no more at Linn

Last edited:
Constant? It’s 15 years since dynamik!

My Dynamik cost me £375 in 2012.... Still going strong in my Akurate C4200 :)

I had one fitted to my ADS Kat streamer yesterday by Matt at Sound Organisation, York in ten minutes. We had a before and after demo - nice touch.

Findings - a worthwhile upgrade - like coming away with a new black box on a different product level.

Difficult to describe the improvement without employing the overused cliches. Having said that, here are some...

Instruments in an already steady soundstage on my system come through as more individual voices. The image is more steady and has depth. The upgrade gets you one step nearer to the original mixing desk - sweet and not over analytical, but you can hear the faults and mastering gaps in some old pop recordings.

Tunedemmers would possibly celebrate the fact that musical phrases sound more 'musical'. Feet more likely to tap. Church organ music sounds more like being in a church and melody lines are easier to untangle.

Sounds better today after a burn in - bass is more full.

Neurotic? Maybe, but I am currently listening to some very nice music to help my with my malady....

Donuk
I had the opportunity to listen today to an exakt system with Klimax dsm3 hub , with the utopik upgrade.
The Klimax hub dont have any D/A converters, but the soundquality in this exakt system was clearly better with utopik - I think the sound difference is on the same level as between katalyst - organik, and better in the same sort of way.
Its strange to hear such a difference between power supplies, even in the digital domain.

It's strange to hear such a difference between power supplies, even in the digital domain.

Why would it being in the digital domain make any difference to the sonic effect of different PSs?

What you might well find "strange" is the result of power supply experiments I did 10 or so years ago for a TT motor speed controller! - IOW ... not a signal processing device!

The 'Number9' AC motor speed controller (alas, no longer available - as the designer has 'left the building'! :( ) requires a 48v DC PS. It comes supplied with a 48v Meanwell SMPS - but we (including the designer, Steve Tuckett) listened to the effect of several different PS options.

This for a TT speed controller - not a signal processing device - but in order of increasing SQ ... the PS options were as follows:
1. Meanwell SMPS
2. Linear PS
3. 48v SLA supply - using 2 strings of 4x 12v SLAs in parallel (to lower ESR)
4. Linear PS - but with one of my 'Isotran' units between it and the wall socket. (The Isotran consists of a small isolation transformer (EI) plus a Schaffner hash filter.)
5. Meanwell plus one of my Isotrans between it and the wall socket.

Why would it being in the digital domain make any difference to the sonic effect of different PSs?

What you might well find "strange" is the result of power supply experiments I did 10 or so years ago for a TT motor speed controller! - IOW ... not a signal processing device!

The 'Number9' AC motor speed controller (alas, no longer available - as the designer has 'left the building'! :( ) requires a 48v DC PS. It comes supplied with a 48v Meanwell SMPS - but we (including the designer, Steve Tuckett) listened to the effect of several different PS options.

This for a TT speed controller - not a signal processing device - but in order of increasing SQ ... the PS options were as follows:
1. Meanwell SMPS
2. Linear PS
3. 48v SLA supply - using 2 strings of 4x 12v SLAs in parallel (to lower ESR)
4. Linear PS - but with one of my 'Isotran' units between it and the wall socket. (The Isotran consists of a small isolation transformer (EI) plus a Schaffner hash filter.)
5. Meanwell plus one of my Isotrans between it and the wall socket.
Maybe the biggest differences is about how much pollution a power supply puts out back to the grid , not how low noise it has on the DC side ? This would point to the direction of batterys ?

One advantage of utopik is its switching is likely to make it less likely to upset other manufacturers amps that are more susceptible to mains noise.

Not sure if this is what you mean but I have a Linn Selekt DSM with preamp module with utopik ( it had just started to be fitted when I got my unit) into Naim 300 DR - sounds fantastic. Naim of course have their own mains noise issues - and I’m luckily ok with the transformer on the 300 power supply…

Well, this is a surprise. My Utopik turned up today, and proved easy to fit.

Wasn’t expecting much to be honest, but I was wrong. This is a definite improvement, so I’ll be listening late tonight. One of my bete noire albums is Mark Knopfler’s Roadrunning, as I’ve always found Emmylou Harris’s voice to be a bit grating. But now it’s rather nice - the vocal harmonies are just fine, and everything snaps into place.

Impressed so far.

Well the jury is in. I find it a good investment in the context of my system. Headlines are that it makes some music more ‘understandable’, and some favourites are more enjoyable, not just ‘different’.
One that surprised me was the 24/96 Raising Sand album, which had up till now always been a bit bass heavy, with slightly confusing vocal harmonies. Now it’s a new album. There, that’s twice I’ve mentioned vocal harmonies - maybe that’s what UtopiK brings to the party.
No brainer if you already have a good Linn streamer.

No brainer if you already have a good Linn streamer.
Hi. I am interested in your last couple of posts.

Were you able to buy and fit it yourself? I thought it was a dealer fit only item.

Which streamer do you have? I’ve got a Majik DS either 2 or 3, I would have to check. I likely won’t upgrade because the power supply would be worth more than the streamer itself - certainly more than I paid used, but I am nonetheless curious.

thanks.

Hi. I am interested in your last couple of posts.

Were you able to buy and fit it yourself? I thought it was a dealer fit only item.

Which streamer do you have? I’ve got a Majik DS either 2 or 3, I would have to check. I likely won’t upgrade because the power supply would be worth more than the streamer itself - certainly more than I paid used, but I am nonetheless curious.

thanks.
It may depend on the relationship with your dealer but it’s a really easy job. Unplug three cables and slot it in. It’s possible there is some added oofle dust in the bag but otherwise no problem.
I have a Klimax. I would suggest that if you are not at OrganiK level yet, it would probably be better to get that first.

advertisement

Back