advertisement

Linn tonearm mounting - numpty question

misterc6

Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did
Is the grub screw on the Linn mounting collar supposed to engage with the slot in the arm pillar?

I'm trying to attach a Basik Plus arm to a Linn Axis. Aesthetics tell me that the arm tube should be parallel to the edge of the plinth; common sense and engineering principles tell me that the little plunger thingy on the end of the grub screw should engage in the slot in the arm pillar.

Every picture of an Axis I see on the Internet shows a nice parallel arm pointing roughly at the word 'AXIS' in the legend on the top plate. When I follow the common sense route with the screw engaging the slot the arm is pointing towards the end of the word 'TURNTABLE'. If I try to get the arm parallel with the edge of the plinth the screw bites on the pillar slightly overhanging the slot.

Am I missing something?

I'm not familiar with the Basik mounting collar on an Axis, however could you confirm if the hole (holding the set screw) is aligned correctly? If it is perpendicular then it sounds like the bracket (which contains the arm rest) may not be aligned correctly on the arm pillar. From memory this can be rotated slightly.

Thanks to all who responded. I've now got it right by slackening off the two screws holding the arm lift assembly and the three screws securing the collar to the top plate which gave me sufficient movement to achieve the desired result.

advertisement

Back