advertisement

Linn tonearm geometry

thomasp

pfm Member
Good day,
According to 2 reputable tonearm manufacturer that I have spoken to, a Rega arm fitting of 222mm center to pivot is slightly better than the Linn fitting of 211 mm. From what I understand, Linn's arms (from Krane to Ekos) are 9'' vs Rega 9.5''. This a case where size does matter and a longer arm is better a shorter one, yes?. Is is it solely a marketing decision on Linn's part?

Difference between 9 and 9.5 is irrelevant in comparison to differences in stylus profile.
SME S2 is 215.4 so there is another length to choose from - not to mention Hadcock 228.6 or 242 (can't remember what the spindle to pivot is for them).
Just an example of non existent standards in Hifi:mad:

The longer the tonearm, the less curved the arc it traces across the record, so the smaller the variation in the angle the stylus tip presents to the record groove. Which should result in less distortion at all points away from the two nulls. The difference between 9 and 9.5 is not so significant as between 9 and 10.5, or 12, of course, and unlikely, as mentioned above, to be as big a difference as stylus profile or cartridge design.

The difference between 9 and 9.5 is not so significant
Difference between 9 and 9.5 is irrelevant

Excellent, that really helps with my purchasing decision, again really appreciate the enlightenment:)

According to 2 reputable tonearm manufacturer that I have spoken to, a Rega arm fitting of 222mm center to pivot is slightly better than the Linn fitting of 211 mm.
I guess it depends on their definition of "slightly better" and how "slight" this is. A longer arm has inherently lower tracking error but the significance of this is debatable (look at all the different alignment protractors there are out there).

I guess it depends on their definition of "slightly better" and how "slight" this is. A longer arm has inherently lower tracking error but the significance of this is debatable (look at all the different alignment protractors there are out there).

Yes - but you need a significant increase in length for it to make an audible difference - just make sure your setup for your own arm is correct.

Yes - but you need a significant increase in length for it to make an audible difference - just make sure your setup for your own a
Not quite sure what you're saying but I think we might be in violent agreement.......... (?)

If you want to know how much better a 12 inch arm sounds, it's a tiny bit more like that moment when you reach the first or second null point and everything snaps into focus, even the carpet.

I have never met anybody who claims to be able to hear when the arm reaches a null point. The difference between 9 inch tracking error and 12 inch tracking error is much less than the difference in tracking error between track 1 and outer null point.

The arm length decision is primarily about how well the arm fits on your deck and whether you want an arm light enough to play with very high compliance cartridges.

advertisement

Back