advertisement

Linn to discontinue all analogue preamps...

I would agree to an extent. I run a latest spec KDS into a KK and prefer the sound with the pre in than out.

Mick

I use the same as you and I'd also agree!

The KDSM is different to a KDS though in that it contains a preamp and is designed to connect directly to the power amps. A standalone DS can be connected directly using digital volume control but it was intended to be used through a preamp.

The KDSM is different to a KDS though in that it contains a preamp and is designed to connect directly to the power amps. A standalone DS can be connected directly using digital volume control but it was intended to be used through a preamp.

So they're just discontinuing separate analogue pre-amps then?

lol

They are looking to make a FORTUNE from gullible audiophiles switching over to digital and replacing their music collection with downloaded tracks from Linn's ridiculously over priced webpage.

I said screw Linn 15 years ago when they canned half their staff and said from now on they were only going after the very high end customers.

This company has been dead to me since then.

A modern ADC could run from a 3V coin cattery easily.
Alternatively they could phantom power down the arm cable, requiring another proprietary box in the plinth - even more lock in
You have four separate connections running to the back of the cartridge. So you could install an ADC/head amp right at the cartridge and have +/- power, gnd and S/PDIF out on existing wiring. Then a custom arm cable from the 'pre' to the arm base. Or put the ADC into the DIN at the end of the arm cable. I think that would probably work with Linn and SME.

I do recall seeing pictures of a (German I think) phono pre that mounted at the cartridge, but it's just a memory. Perhaps a clue will surface.

Paul

It's actually not.
KDSM is just a KDS with an A/D converter that send the (converted analog) signal to the internal digital volume control.
The HDMI and other digital inputs on KDSM are also sent to same digital volume control.

davidd (Linn engineer) from the Linn forum wrote:
Neither the KDS and KDSM have premaps, they both have a digital volume control. The implementation of the digital volume control is the same between the KDS and KDSM.

btw, it's a lot more musical with a KK than without!
Without KK, you get a bit more "hifi"-sound but who cares...the music is lost.

So they're just discontinuing separate analogue pre-amps then?

lol

Yes, that's pretty much it. I think the sales of the DSM units have put a dent in the sales of separate preamps.

When they discontinued CD players it was because the DS units had all but killed sales of them, DS offered much better sound per pound and although I didn't warm to the idea initially, streaming is just so convenient. I still have an ikemi (about the best bang for book CD player they produced IMO), lovely as it is, it rarely gets used.

Linn will always want an analogue input on their systems, they still want to sell LP12s and the related units, DSMs cater for this.

A digital cart would just need two wires (a bit long for SPI so lets keep it to SPDIF) and two for power. Conveniently the tonearm has four wired and an additional grounding plane. The only issue is if the construction of existing wire is sufficient and what sorts of voltages to pass into it. 1-2V is all that is needed for an all-in everything you need up to 24/192 in an Analog Devices ADC in BGA or SOIC package format. Its totally do-able. You can fit a computer with the computational power of a 2009 MacBook Air into a wristwatch, so its not a big thing to ask or expect of today's ADC technology. The bulk of the processing work (RIAA EQ in digital domain and bit-banging it to the DAC) would be done in the KDS anyway

An active cartridge would allow alternatives to MM/MC. Piezo, strain gauge and MEMS are all viable and potentially much cheaper to make when you don't have to worry about driving 2m of cable

A digital cart would just need two wires (a bit long for SPI so lets keep it to SPDIF) and two for power. Conveniently the tonearm has four wired and an additional grounding plane. The only issue is if the construction of existing wire is sufficient and what sorts of voltages to pass into it. 1-2V is all that is needed for an all-in everything you need up to 24/192 in an Analog Devices ADC in BGA or SOIC package format. Its totally do-able. You can fit a computer with the computational power of a 2009 MacBook Air into a wristwatch, so its not a big thing to ask or expect of today's ADC technology. The bulk of the processing work (RIAA EQ in digital domain and bit-banging it to the DAC) would be done in the KDS anyway

Logical conclusion; Fully wireless.

DAC/Bluetooth powered by a little rubber wheel on the side of the cart driving a tiny internal generator ;)

Better Idea; Do FA and carry on as normal because converting a cart signal to digital is pretty much defeating the whole point of vinyl in this digital age.

Mr Tibbs

Digital and DS are accessories in my system - OK to have, like FM. But if I lost them it would be no big deal. Take away analogue vinyl, on the other hand, and it is game over for me. Digitising the output of my turntable would be like selling my record collection and replacing it with CD. Didn't happen last time, won't happen this time.

Better Idea; Do FA and carry on as normal because converting a cart signal to digital is pretty much defeating the whole point of vinyl in this digital age.

Not to a business like Linn, have you seen how much people are willing to pay for this kind of pointless voodoo?

MCA768_LPT-top-3.jpg

Thats the sort of thing. That MQFP package is pretty easy to work with. I bet the board could be made two sided.

It's actually not.
KDSM is just a KDS with an A/D converter that send the (converted analog) signal to the internal digital volume control.
The HDMI and other digital inputs on KDSM are also sent to same digital volume control.

davidd (Linn engineer) from the Linn forum wrote:

btw, it's a lot more musical with a KK than without!
Without KK, you get a bit more "hifi"-sound but who cares...the music is lost.

Ah, so analog inputs are digitised. Seems as though they are pushing Exakt then. Oh well, I have a KK/1/D already and I'm not looking to change.

advertisement

Back