advertisement

Linn power supplies

rhgbristol

pfm Member
I'd be interested to hear people's comments and experiences on the various linn power supplies used specifically in typical 1990 s kit such as kairn, Numerik, Karik, etc.

From memory there were three distinct types-
Analogue (conventional transformer) used up to about 1994, the round cased switched mode electronic type known as 'brilliant' used from about 1994 to 1995 only, and the later switched mode type in a square box known as 'slimline brilliant'

At the time, each newer version was claimed to offer better sonic benefits over the version it replaced, BUT it seems evidence to date seems to suggest that the later two electronic versions particularly the short-lived 'round brilliant' version have proven unreliable, difficult to repair and now unsupported by Linn.

Is this the experience that members here have found?

Specifically I have an older Karik with the early analogue transformer psu which has been very reliable, but I'm toying with the idea of adding a Numerik DAC.

Of various Numeriks I'm looking at, I've located working ones of different vintage with all thee types of psu.

Is the potential 'risk' of going for a later type with electronic psu going to pay dividends with substantially better sound quality, or is the early analogue tranformered version the better overall bet to go for?

I'm sure the learned members on this site have 'been there and done it' before so would be interested in any comments or opinions!

Thanks
Richard

Would it be fair to say , those early 'Brilliant' psu's were not quite so brilliant then ? Sorry couldn't help it , I just think Linn are asking to be taken the piss out of sometimes ?

I take it you've found one of the unofficial history sites?

The short answer is that the original transformer supplies have all the complexity of a knife and fork and are about as reliable.

Linn's first attempt at a SMPS, the original, round brilliant, might well have sounded better, but a couple of components run a bit too hot for their long term good. The good news is that they can often be repaired very cheaply, though not by Linn anymore.

The slimline smps is reckoned by Linn to be more reliable than a conventional supply. The unit has been fitted to just about every Linn pre and source component from its introduction till the recent 'Dynamik' PSUs. The only unit I know of that it gives any sort of trouble in is the AV5103 preamp/DAC/Processor. The load's a bit high, and, again, overheating can damage it and it's not quite as easy to fix as the round one.

Sample of one person, I know, but I own a Kairn, Numerik, Ikemi and Linto, and there's been no trouble at all from the Slimline Brilliants. Come to the think of it, there's not really been any trouble at all! The Kairn and Numerik are now well over a decade old and are often left on 24/7, and run cool.

Linn's service agents can fix most issues, but my experience suggests you're safe enough.

Grenadier's comments are spot on. In my large experience of the devices in question the tin can Brilliant are the only ones I have had a failure in outside the 5103. Of these about 25% have been repairable. As to sound quality I, personally, have not noticed a huge difference but, equally, have not done an extensive side by side comparison. The Karik has a warm sound for a CD player that many owners will not swap for anything. One of my customers preffered it to a Unidisk 1.1. Perhaps the latter was more accurate but he preferred the sound of the former. Saying that at this level of CD playback you are getting a superb sound whatever. Someone has been talking to me about producing a transformer retrofit to devices with blown power supplies. Transformer needs two output voltages so think a custom build. The circuit board component changes conversion back is quite easy though. Not sure if he has launched these commercially though.

CJ

Thanks for comments - very interesting and re-assuring, and sort of back up the 'unoffical history' sites - where you tend to get the truth, rather than the marketing hype.

The Karik is indeed a superb player, and having owned most in the Naim range, including the CD555, as well as Genki in my office system, the old Karik features high in the sound quality stakes / ranking in both systems.

Admitted it is in the tri-amped (naim) isobarik system where differences between the palyers show most - and the Karik is up ther with the best I've heard - so the question is which Numerik should I go for, as I've now located two suitable candidates - an older analogue transformer type, and later slimline brilliant. Cost wise there is nothing significant in it. My Karik is form 1994, and has the older round transformer in it.

Still have my early Karik with on board DAC.... came with traditional transformer, which I had upgraded to round Brilliant.... was a big improvement.... My Kairn had the same treatment, which was a huge improvement..... Kairn has long since been sold...
The Karik went back to Linn for power supply fault, and came back with a Slimline PSU, and a new a laser... It has remained like that now for I guess 15 years !!!.... Still works fine..... it must be close on 20 years old now :eek:

The Kinos is the other PSU problem child.... again overheats takes out the PSU and some parts on the PSU input board.... my old one was fixed by Linn..

In short get one items with Slimline supply.

When the original brilliant supplies came out i fitted them into my Karik and Numerik,imho they were sonically superior and,i had many,many years of trouble free use,i sold them on after about four or five years,and as far as i know the buyer got many more years service from them.

just had my amplifier Linn Akurate 4200 "dynamiked", it's running in nicely.

i've had the LK280's and they suffered from the dreaded humming transformer syndrome when i stacked them 3 high.....:)

advertisement

Back