advertisement

Linn Ninkas

I have Ninkas in the house, and when I first listened to them, I fell in love with their open and fun presentation - as did all other people I presented them to. My best friend and my brother bought a pair. And even now that I have settled on John's Vfet monos and have sold all my Naim gear - and hope to sell my Ninkas too - all to fund this, I know that I will always have very fond memories of running the Ninkas active with two Naim Nap 200s + a Linn Tunebox. It's a system I hope I won't regret selling...
Peter

You might, I have tried moving away from linn before but luckily retained the kit so I can make my mind up over the new, non linn kit. The linn kit has always stayed unless going further up the linn chain. Even going further up the linn chain doesn't always guarantee more satisfaction. I have tried 242s a couple of times in different setups and locations but always stuck with keltiks.

You might, I have tried moving away from linn before but luckily retained the kit so I can make my mind up over the new, non linn kit. The linn kit has always stayed unless going further up the linn chain. Even going further up the linn chain doesn't always guarantee more satisfaction. I have tried 242s a couple of times in different setups and locations but always stuck with keltiks.

I've never been that impressed with 242s - had an option to buy an ex-dem pair of passive Akubariks a while back but while they were obviously better than my Espeks the improvement wasn't worth the price. Active Akubariks are nice, but out of my price range.

I've never been that impressed with 242s - had an option to buy an ex-dem pair of passive Akubariks a while back but while they were obviously better than my Espeks the improvement wasn't worth the price. Active Akubariks are nice, but out of my price range.

Yes, same here. And I still love what the keltiks do, my friend does too and he's waiting for me to upgrade. I think he'll be waiting for a while because I really don't want to let them go.

I had Keilidhs for a while and their greatest asset was that they could really shift some air on things like dance tracks. The only problem was, to keep them even vaguely under control you needed a beast of an amp, and even then...

There is one unsung hero IMHO in the Linn line-up and that is the Index mark 2 with the built-in Kustone stands. They suffered greatly from the association with the Index 1, which are still the brightest speaker I've ever heard. They also look very similar to the truly rubbish Nexus. The 2s are dirt cheap now because nobody wants them, but for the money you can't go wrong.

I had Keilidhs for a while and their greatest asset was that they could really shift some air on things like dance tracks. The only problem was, to keep them even vaguely under control you needed a beast of an amp, and even then...

There is one unsung hero IMHO in the Linn line-up and that is the Index mark 2 with the built-in Kustone stands. They suffered greatly from the association with the Index 1, which are still the brightest speaker I've ever heard. They also look very similar to the truly rubbish Nexus. The 2s are dirt cheap now because nobody wants them, but for the money you can't go wrong.

Keilidhs, like many linn speakers take a big step up when taken active. A pair of LK85s is plenty to really get them going so they are not a costly option. Lots of sound for your money.

Owned both Ninkas & Espeks. Ninkas were great fun & an absolute bargain. Still own a pair of Espeks in a 2nd system but never really took to them. The Ninkas really sing when used with the upgrade stands.

I'm fairly new to linn and recently added a pair of tukans to a kairn/lk85. Source is iPod apple lossless direct into aux of amp (sold my Jupiter/io recently) Next step will be a DS I hope. I am loving the music. I believe more so than I ever have. Sold my proac r 2.5s and got the smaller linn speakers for practically 1/7 of the value the proacs went for but totally worth it.

The kit you have there is some of linns best in terms of VFM. That era of linn kit was untouchable for the money to my ears, it just gets on with the business of playing tunes. Katans are fantastic too, I just love em.

May the prices it goes for these days it represents mind-blowing value.

I thought the Katans a better all round speaker, Ninka's didn't come alive till the volume was near my max listening level (mono 110's)
Other comments here suggest active or multi amps is required ?

Beautiful cabinets I really wanted to like them.
A trip to Tim's confirmed the worth of the Kustone base, which was another surprise.

With the price of early Kans rocketing, its perhaps time to collect Tukan 's and Katans, they'll fit in the bottom of a cupboard ;-)

Katans are brilliant, they can't do the full scale thing that ninkas can but they sound great on everything from a classik to a klimax setup. Spectacular little speakers. Smoother and more detailed than tukans to my ears.

Still really love ninkas, they can really boogie!

advertisement

Back