advertisement

Linn Ninka

I have come to the conclusion that I don't really like Linn speakers -Briks, Kans, Ceilidhs all of which I have owned. I did like the Ninka and would have bought them if my current Neats hadn't shown up and I like Kabers too. Not sure this is a recommendation or not because lots of people love the three speakers above and don't like Kabers.

Nope, they are still two way... I can only suspect that the limitations of the passive crossovers are the reason they go lower when active.

The active crossover has about 10dB of boost at 50Hz -that's why.

I found the Ninkas very frustrating, sounded great with some music and awful with others. Some things sounded better passive than active and vice-versa.

Need to be used with K400 (or 600) to sound right(ish).

A pair of AKSA amps sounded a lot better than the LK85s I bought with them (however it needs some DIY skills to activate them unless using Linn amps).

From what I remember from several dealer demos some years ago (in a Linn system: Ikemi CD player, majik level preamp and x100 (?) or x200 amps ) they are nice, fairly neutral speakers, good for the price. They sounded better with a 4200 than with the smaller Linn amp, and much, much better active. I found they didn't image very well, but that's not a problem for many people. They sound less sterile than some of the later Linn speakers.

From what I remember from several dealer demos some years ago (in a Linn system: Ikemi CD player, majik level preamp and x100 (?) or x200 amps ) they are nice, fairly neutral speakers, good for the price. They sounded better with a 4200 than with the smaller Linn amp, and much, much better active. I found they didn't image very well, but that's not a problem for many people. They sound less sterile than some of the later Linn speakers.

Get the positioning right and they image quite well, get it wrong and they don't image well at all... It just takes a little experimenting... My little Royd Sappires image brilliantly with no effort in set up whatsoever so I know where you are coming from.

The active crossover has about 10dB of boost at 50Hz -that's why.

I found the Ninkas very frustrating, sounded great with some music and awful with others. Some things sounded better passive than active and vice-versa.

Need to be used with K400 (or 600) to sound right(ish).

A pair of AKSA amps sounded a lot better than the LK85s I bought with them (however it needs some DIY skills to activate them unless using Linn amps).

Sounds quite feasible... I have found them to be great all rounders though, not fussy about music at all. They are sensitive to positioning, but I have never failed to get them right in any room.

More sensitive than Keilidhs? My options for positioning are limited, and the Keilidhs don't seem to mind that much. And they positively like being close to the wall behind.

More sensitive than Keilidhs? My options for positioning are limited, and the Keilidhs don't seem to mind that much. And they positively like being close to the wall behind.

Not massively no, but toe in and the distance apart makes a huge difference, they aren't hard to get sounding great but little differences in positioning make a big difference, they are happy close to the back wall... Mine are 10-12 cm from the back wall, 9 feet apart, I sit about 12 feet away from them and they have about 10 degrees of toe in, they sound amazing.

Put simply, if you just plonk them down without taking the time to experiment a little, you're probably not going to hear them at their best. When I first had a pair, I positioned them exactly as my keilidhs had been and my heart sank, they sounded cold, shrill and had an unruly bass... After a couple of hours of moving them about they sounded amazing and I was no longer missing the keilidhs.

They will work fine in the same space as a pair of keilidhs and can work well in a smaller space too.

Cheers, I'll give them a go if a pair come up locally. Sounds like I might have to put them on casters though.

They won't sound great on castors, they aren't shahians :D, rather a lot taller and narrower.

They really aren't hard to get sounding great, I think you'll find them a big step up from keilidhs, which I still have a soft spot for.

Well I now have a beautiful pair of maple Nikas, they are very nicely made, look rather cool too.

I have been wanting an exiting speaker with a fuller sound to my Kans, this is not to say I am tired of the Kans, quite the opposite. I recently got another pair of MKI Kans and they sound so crisp I suspect they have had little use. As such I wish to keep them this way.

The Ninkas have been playing Touch by Yello for an hour now, it's my standard test recording, and I know they are keepers.

The Ninkas will become my everyday speaker and for the TV.

They have a lovely rich sound but still have that crisp snap that makes them fun.

Two amazing sets of speakers then for a total of £600!!!

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpswpdccic1.jpg

Well I now have a beautiful pair of maple Nikas, they are very nicely made, look rather cool too.

I have been wanting an exiting speaker with a fuller sound to my Kans, this is not to say I am tired of the Kans, quite the opposite. I recently got another pair of MKI Kans and they sound so crisp I suspect they have had little use. As such I wish to keep them this way.

The Ninkas have been playing Touch by Yello for an hour now, it's my standard test recording, and I know they are keepers.

The Ninkas will become my everyday speaker and for the TV.

They have a lovely rich sound but still have that crisp snap that makes them fun.

Two amazing sets of speakers then for a total of £600!!!

http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af251/gaius1/image.jpg1_zpswpdccic1.jpg

Excellent, I though you'd like them. Maple is the best finish in my opinion too, just stunning. The veneer is always beautifully book matched too which is the icing on the cake. Mine look amazing.

Gaius,

Did you consider Saras, &, if not, why not ?

I have had Saras and I really like them though they do honk a bit and are very forward, I don't have the space for Briks but do think Kans and Briks are the best of that generation.

advertisement

Back