advertisement

Linn Lp12

I like the flutted afromosia plinths but the exotic Chris Harben plinths look very nice and for the right price I could easily make the change to one of those. I just don't spend a lot of time looking at my deck so would rather spend the money on something like a khan which is likely to make a real improvement in sound quality.

Some of the woods that Chris H uses actually do make a "real improvement in sound quality". :)

Regards,

Andy

I must admit there are some very negative people on the fish I know a few I don't even bother with ;)

The only trouble is, every word I said was true..that isn't 'exceptionally negative', it is just being honest. Linn piggy-backed on the work of other, more talented, designers. That is a historic fact. That it's growth was based on some remarkable marketing,that is surely also a well acknowledged fact.
If Linn people want to endlessly sing their own praises, well, nothing wrong with that. But don't assume that other people are not also entitled to their opinions....we aren't all required to sing from your hymn sheet, and that isn't being 'negative', it is pointing-out that there are other views of the world.

My first two were fluted Afro and I really lusted after a black one. That was 1988 when black was the thing. The aesthetics of the lp12 are great, it's a real period piece. Also the feel of it, theres something lovely about watching that big heavy platter get up to speed and the suspension rolling underneath while it does. Also pulling records off and dropping them on without stopping the platter.Wish I could say the same about the ability to set it and linn arms up, no points there I'm afraid. Michell and SME take that prize.

Some of the woods that Chris H uses actually do make a "real improvement in sound quality". :)

Regards,

Andy

Have you heard that yourself in a direct comparison where the plinth was the only variable changed or are you relying on second hand information?

It may look attractively retro against new designs but it is SQ that ultimately counts. In basic form it's well off the pace and the upgrades that alegedly make it competitive in the high end are far too costly.

It may look attractively retro against new designs but it is SQ that ultimately counts. In basic form it's well off the pace and the upgrades that alegedly make it competitive in the high end are far too costly.

Yes indeed. My username derives from my desire to put a Technics motor unit into my Sondek plinth. I doubt I will ever pull it off, but you have to have dreams ;-)

advertisement

Back