advertisement

Linn Lp12

Of the 5 classic decks I have in my man cave, my wife thinks the Sondek is the handsomest. She is quite right. I don't really listen to it though.

I think it really depends on the plinth. Some nice grain and flutes are essential IMO.

Without those its kind of Thorens 160 lookalike and a bit dated.

No a poor design. Me I can never go back far too coloured and that bass bloom! If I have to sell my expensive system the LP12 won't be on the 'starter TT' list more likely a Techniks, Rega or 70s DD. As for good looking it is a fruitbox.

No a poor design. Me I can never go back far too coloured and that bass bloom! If I have to sell my expensive system the LP12 won't be on the 'starter TT' list more likely a Techniks, Rega or 70s DD. As for good looking it is a fruitbox.

LOL! You're pulling our collective leg right? Whatever you think of the sound, the industrial design is very elegant.

I was quite surprised at how poorly constructed the old ones are.
The bearing and platter display good engineering but the rest is laughably bad when set alongside something like a contemporary Technics SL.
I've an SL10 here which cost about the same as the old pre Valhalla LP12. Putting them side by side and examining the engineering is rather like comparing the space shuttle to a Blue Peter stickbackplastic rocket.

Sounds good though, if not entirely accurate.

I was quite surprised at how poorly constructed the old ones are.
The bearing and platter display good engineering but the rest is laughably bad when set alongside something like a contemporary Technics SL.
I've an SL10 here which cost about the same as the old pre Valhalla LP12. Putting them side by side and examining the engineering is rather like comparing the space shuttle to a Blue Peter stickbackplastic rocket.

Sounds good though, if not entirely accurate.

I can see what you are getting at but on a shelf the lp12 is much prettier than any technics and sounds rather nice too imho.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though.

The LP12 does have a sort of 'fit for purpose', and well proportioned look about it,especially if you are of a certain vintage yourself.

However, it is basically a 'traditional' turntable that's been 'pimped' a bit. It is close to the Heybrooks, Systemdeks, Manticores, Roksans, Aristons etc. And it wouldn't look much different to the Thorens, Lencos and Garrards in traditional plinths. A more cynical way of looking at it, is that the 'kiln dried plinth', costing about a tenner to make, has more pulling power than a bit of veneered chipboard on, say, a PL12D. Whether it actually makes any difference to the sound is debatable. And bolts going through timber tend to go loose over time. Doesn't happen with metal/acrylic etc.

When I bought mine (1993), I was 'into' black. I had luvverley black ION amps, black Royd Speakers etc. So the black Linn seemed appropriate. I still think black is a great foil for the stainless top plate and the mazak platter.

All the other woods look terrific on their own, but tend to be difficult to integrate with other bits of the system.

IMHO.. obviously... and WTF do I know?

I also love the looks of other turntables which celebrate the materials available.

I suppose the Gyrodec is the obvious one. Beautiful to behold, but them there wizzy weights get on yer tits pretty quick.
I recall a blue and gold and perspex effort by Postle and Schmidt in a mag years ago. It looked amazing. And all the Verdiers, NAS, Clearaudio etc. look terrific. I have a friend who has an SME30. Now that really does look the 'bizz', in a quiet and extremely classy way. (Sounds it too!)

Mull

I don't like these biscuit tin jobs. They all look too awkward, too gawky. And they remind me of a Lotus 340R or an Aerial Atom :)

From a design point of view, the best has to be the Rega 3 - simple and nothing superfluous.

It's a good looking player for sure, the fluted afro plinth is iconic to an extent and some of the new Chris Harben plinths are just amazing.

Main thing is it plays music and sounds fantastic.

As above (post # 13) hats off too to the little Rega 3, both new and old.

Having heard a LP12 with an Aro(DV XX2) and Raven One with several arms, paired with a top dollar cart, i am impressed with LP12.

I think the LP12 looks lovely. So much so that I made my slate Lenco have a similar platter/armboard overhang as a tribute. ;)

Of course, the deck's appearance was nothing to do with Linn. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, it just looks "right" to me and always has.

From a design point of view, the best has to be the Rega 3 - simple and nothing superfluous.

I agree, a design classic.

I don't think the LP12 looks bad, I'm totally happy with it, but it's nothing special either. I think it's just been around for so long its part of the part of the Hi-Fi collective psyche. It's a grounding point in Hi-Fi history, an aspirational object for so many. Ask someone who's never seen one before and has no interest in Hi-Fi what they think of its aesthetics and you'll get a very different answer!

Lp12 looks great in flat Matt black with a suitable armboard finish. Most stylish I've seen.

I think the fluted Afromosia plinth models are a wonderful piece of 1970s design. Occasionally there is a modern plinth where the wood figuring is well suited to its position then they can look magnificent, sadly IMHO these are in the minority

I quite like the lighter ones although my own was standard afro. Andrew Popely's is one of the best I've seen. Anyone done a plinth in "piano" black polyester?

advertisement

Back