advertisement

Linn LP12 vs Digital

I’m seeking advise on LP12/turntable upgrade. I’m new to analog (and to this forum). Linn LP12 is my first turntable. It’s a brand new Majik with the new Kore and Lingo 4 upgrade. It has the new Karousel bearing, Krane arm, adikt cart.

I’ve a DIY music server which would compete with USD $10K commercial offering. My DAC is Holo Spring2 - a $2.2K mid level. I’m quite skilled with building music server and spent a lot of time improving it. I was very happy with the sound of my digital chain.

However, the new LP12 right out of the box sounded better than my digital on 70% of the music. I was floored! I started buying vinyl like a mad man.

The story takes a dramatic turn when I borrowed a Lampizator TRP DAC from a friend. With Lampi, my digital starting to sound quite a bit better than my LP12.

The areas where I think LP12 is equal (or sometimes little better ) than my digital is:

- Macro dynamics

- Detail

- Bass

- voice reproduction

But other areas where the digital with Lampi sounds quite a bit better than LP12:

- Transparency (I can hear deeper into the recording)

- Much more open midrange

- Airy and silky highs

- Better micro dynamics (LP12 sounds a bit flat in comparison on busy music)

- More agile and lighter on its feet (while never sounding thin or harsh)

I am willing to spend money on LP12 upgrades. But is it possible that LP12 (or suspended turntable for that matter) will never sound that open, uncolored, agile, and airy? I think my LP12 sounds very organic and musical. But the midrange thickness is pervasive regardless of the recording and its flat sounding on busy music is the biggest issue I want to improve on.

What LP12 upgrade I should aim first so that it can sound open and airy? Is the Radikal + MC cart will get me there? Or Keel+Ekos SE+ MC cart would be enough? I can go all the way up to Klimax if that s what it takes. But it’d be an expensive experiment if it doesn’t work out.

Would I better served by changing turntable to a direct drive type like Technics upper models 1000R?

Your opinions are most welcome!

All the things that made you like the LP12 in the first place are still there - it's you that's changed. One of my greatest realisations is that I'm the weakest link in my system and by the sounds of it, so are you :)

The other thing to consider is that there's isn't a war between your vinyl and digital systems. That's all in your head as well. I say enjoy it for a while and review things in a year from now. You've paid your money so spend your time wisely and enjoy it ;)

My advice would be to buy even more records :)

I have an (old) Lp12 myself, it's fine. MC carts are better, but not that much. Sometimes, when I have the same music on LP and CD, the LP sounds better, sometimes the CD, a few times they sound the same! The largest difference is in how the records are mastered.

Digital can sound amazing as can vinyl, an internal battle between the two will just cost you money.

A better arm is the next step but they are rather big bucks these days.

I think you can definitely take the LP12 in the directions you mention but it will cost!..(bien sur!)

1) Replace your Kore for a Keel. The Kore is very good and tonally well balanced but swapping for a Keel you would notice much more detail, better soundstage, more explosive dynamics etc...all of the good things... It's pricey, however but if you are willing to look outside of Linn there are many other 3rd party sub-chassis (such as Stack audio, Mober) available for less money that might do a similar job for you.
2) Replace the Adikt for a low output MC cartridge such as a Krystal (you would need an MC phono stage if you don't already have one)
3) Possibly replace the arm. (Nima? Used Ittok? an Ekos if you want to spend)
4) Upgrade your phono stage (depending on what you are currently using, of course)

Having a listen to other decks as well as a top-spec LP12 is a good idea as you have lots of options at that level. Make sure that you are upgrading towards the one you'd like to end up with!

Your opinions are most welcome!
It is good to keep in mind that no matter how subjectively pleasing a vinyl record may sound, it will not sound like the original recording. Digital will - or at least has the potential. Vinyl does not even have the potential. I would also steer clear of high end cottage industry dacs since the purpose of those is not necessarily reproducing the musical signal with highest possible fidelity.

I was in a similar situation and enjoy them equally but it is costly but I can say to my ears the LP12 will be the more enjoyable and depending on the mastering etc will be better. You will find a level on the LP12 that you are happy with and then best to stop. I listen to 70% digital as I have over 2000 cd rips and a lot less on vinyl but when I listen to vinyl I normally just sit and listen.

It’s all down to how well the music is produced to be fair. And it’s swings and roundabouts as far as rendering is concerned. If the OP prefers a more analogue type sound, just stick to analogue and steer clear of digital?

I don't listen to my hifi as much as I used to. Partly because I play piano and organ so much these days that I don't need to listen to yet more music and need some peace. Partly because there's a lot of great TV to watch.

But for when I do want to listen, I have a system which, on paper, is more modest than some I've had, but which is equally satisfying on both vinyl and digital (regardless of source). I think this is important as I would hate to only want to listen to one or the other. I like everything it does and this is a perfect situation for me. I have no interest in chasing upgrades whatsoever.

I've always enjoyed my vinyl whether from my early Dual, my LP12, Lencos, Garrards and now Technics. But some 20 years ago I struggled with digital and couldn't put my finger on what it was about it that I didn't like. I just can't describe what makes a digital source work for me, and just have to trust my ears and instincts. If I enjoy it, I do. Even if I don't know why!

The only subchassis to come near the keel is the tangerine, any of the others will be a downgrade from your Kore.

A decent MC and a Radikal2 will enable your record player to easily better any digital source.

I don’t think that either is better than the other.
They both have their pluses and their minuses.
For me the performance is the priority. I don’t choose a performance of Beethoven’s Fifth because it sounds good. Occasionally the performance is matched by the production which is a bonus. I listened to an old Sibelius Violin Concerto yesterday. It was Heifetz. I’d forgotten how great this performance was. There are other more modern recording that have remarkable sound but the performance is a let down. I’d rather be engaged in the performance than be distracted by the sound.

What LP12 upgrade I should aim first so that it can sound open and airy?

Arm and cartridge. The arm on the Magic is a budget one made by Clearaudio and the Adict cartridge is a mid-range MM. A good arm and a decent MC cartridge will do exactly what you are looking for. I'd recomend the Audio Origami PU7 and whatever flavour of cartridge you like. The PU7 mixes it with the Ekos SE while being much less expensive, it's a top-class arm.

Both digital and vinyl can sound superb but ultimatly vinyl can do things that are very hard for digital to replicate. Which is why the format refuses to die!

Arm and cartridge. The arm on the Magic is a budget one made by Clearaudio and the Adict cartridge is a mid-range MM. A good arm and a decent MC cartridge will do exactly what you are looking for. I'd recomend the Audio Origami PU7 and whatever flavour of cartridge you like. The PU7 mixes it with the Ekos SE while being much less expensive, it's a top-class arm.

Both digital and vinyl can sound superb but ultimatly vinyl can do things that are very hard for digital to replicate. Which is why the format refuses to die!
Or digital can do things that are very hard for vinyl to replicate?

Last edited:
You can easily replicate anything vinyl can do by digitizing the vinyl output. But you cannot do it vice versa.

advertisement

Back