advertisement

[WTD] Linn LP12 parts

Had an old LP12 baseboard in my box o'shite but skipped it last year... I could make a much better one in about 15 minutes for tuppence ha'penny so didn't think anyone would ever want it. You live and learn... lesson here is that there's a market for any old shite if you can be bothered to seek it out I guess.

J7 is selling a load of Valhalla's that need refurb on FB. Steve at Valhalla Electronics does a good job on refurbs too.

J7 is selling a load of Valhalla's that need refurb on FB. Steve at Valhalla Electronics does a good job on refurbs too.
Buying dead Valhallas is risky. If they just need a recap it's ok but if there is more to it you can be in trouble. Pretty soon the cost of fixing it might creep close enough to a new Minos that it's pointless.

I regret to see that folks buy older lp12 and then split them up in many parts to make a few bucks.
I could make a lot more money by simply selling all the bits that I have rather than building them into turntables but I wouldn't feel right about it. Right now I have a complete, boxed, unused Cirkus kit sitting here! How rare is that? I know that if I stuck that on eBay I'd make hundreds off it, a good used Cirkus and sub-chassis can go for £300, but I can't do it. Someone is going to get that full kit in a turntable one day.

Yes, I do want to make money for my effort but I also want to feel good about what I'm doing. If I sell a turntable and the guy who buys it is delighted and feels he's got a good deal that's just as important as the fact I've made some money myself. Not long ago I met a guy who'd bought an LP12 off eBay. He'd paid a lot for it, too much and he knew he'd paid too much. That guy will have a grumbling dissatisfaction with that deck forever. That's not right.

I want to sell someone a turntable they'll look at and be happy with, they'll feel good about and they'll enjoy playing music on.

I must admit, it's getting harder. I don't make many turntables as buying the bits at good prices is not easy. I've almost got parts for two more just now and the second one I'd like to be a really cheap entry deck, the kind of money you don't normally get an LP12 for, but I'm struggling. Some parts are hard to get cheaply and at the lower end that can take up a large proportion of the cost of the deck. It's difficult, but it's a challenge and it's interesting.

Have you considered this?

They’re new and this is an eBay listing for a single unit… I’d like to bet you could strike a deal on multiple items directly from the maker, worth an ask.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have you considered this?
No, I've never seen it.

It's not a bad shout. I try to avoid oddball aftermarket parts as generally speaking, people don't want them. If someone is buying an LP12 they typically want it to be all genuine Linn. Even fitting Rega arms as I do is questioned. I did have an acrylic baseboard here but it was a thick one with three spikes attached. I just punted it cheap on Gumtree. These ones aren't as bad as they're normal thickness so you won't see it. Worth thinking about, thanks.

I think I have a Cirkus sub-chassis, but looking at those eBay links I'm now beginning to wonder, I can't quite see the difference from the braced sub-chassis for the CIrkus on those links & my own. However I do have a John R MDF sandwich sub-chassis that I might be prepared to let go.

@Mr Pig Before I list elsewhere I have the following which might suit your goal of building some keenly priced LP12.

x 2 Linn Basik + tonearms, both in lovely condition

x 1 Hercules PSU

advertisement

Back