advertisement

[WTD] Linn LP12 main bearing.

keithsnaim

Gone Fishing
Hi all. I'm on the look out for a main bearing in good condition. Don't mind if it's a black, white lined bearing or even a cirkus. What have you got tucked away.
Regards Keith

Having being in precision engineering for the last 45 years it's all about limits and fits. There's not much to compare between them really. You know when the fit is just correct or not. Smoke and mirrors comes to mind. All I need is a good quality bearing and I can sort the rest. Thanks.

If you buy from a proper company like Cymbosis, they will only sell used ones as a set, that way any wear will be on both equally. This is not from me but suppliers. Don’t bite my head off.

A bearing and the spindle of a sub-platter will wear together and should be considered a matched pair. I also think you'll be lucky to find a good bearing which doesn't have a bub-platter to go with it.

Why not just buy a pair then sell the sub-platter you have?

A bearing and the spindle of a sub-platter will wear together and should be considered a matched pair. I also think you'll be lucky to find a good bearing which doesn't have a bub-platter to go with it.

Why not just buy a pair then sell the sub-platter you have?
The platter I have is a mober. I just want to get the deck up and running. Then if it's all fine I can consider the best way forward. Perhaps a matched pair or even a mober bearing.

The platter I have is a mober. I just want to get the deck up and running. Then if it's all fine I can consider the best way forward. Perhaps a matched pair or even a mober bearing.
If you build it properly it will work. The LP12 is a very simple device but there are things you need to get right. I've been using and building LP12s for over thirty five years and I'd suggest you want to start with a standard turntable. If you use a modified aftermarket part from the beginning and you don't like the sound of the deck you won't know if you dislike the deck or the modification. At least if you start with a known accepted configuration other people will be familiar with it and be able to advise on how to move forward. I've never used a Mober sub-platter so can't advise on how they sound.

Do you need any other bits?

If you build it properly it will work. The LP12 is a very simple device but there are things you need to get right. I've been using and building LP12s for over thirty five years and I'd suggest you want to start with a standard turntable. If you use a modified aftermarket part from the beginning and you don't like the sound of the deck you won't know if you dislike the deck or the modification. At least if you start with a known accepted configuration other people will be familiar with it and be able to advise on how to move forward. I've never used a Mober sub-platter so can't advise on how they sound.

Do you need any other bits?
Thanks. Yes just a few bits. Belt guide, motor mounting bolts and domed washers.

Thanks. Yes just a few bits. Belt guide, motor mounting bolts and domed washers.
You'll get those on eBay. They're not expensive new but you'll see someone selling them cheaper. I don't have and spare unfortunately, I had to buy a belt guide last week in fact.

If you want any build advise let me know.

advertisement

Back