advertisement

Linn LP12 25th

Will take a look into it, were the motors different over the years or is it a drop in?
The arm is an Akito with S/N over the 100.000 so it should be the 2B.

Both upgrades installed, swapping the original Linn power switch was a major PITA.
Also replaced the oil.
Much quieter background now, not sure whether it's just the oil or the Hercules but it's audible. The Trampolin 2 is just a nice gimmick as it adds adjustable feet and more overall mass and rigidity to the whole thing.

Both upgrades installed, swapping the original Linn power switch was a major PITA.
Also replaced the oil.
Much quieter background now, not sure whether it's just the oil or the Hercules but it's audible. The Trampolin 2 is just a nice gimmick as it adds adjustable feet and more overall mass and rigidity to the whole thing.
I like the look of the Trampolin - especially the adjustable feet - but some say it works against the springs in the LP12 and worsens the sound? Can you say that you’ve noticed anything like this?

Not sure if it works against it but the trampolin doesn't have that much travel. The feet are rather flexible rubber domes, with the screw fitting for the feet molded into the rubber so in fact they can wobble 360 deg. Once the LP12 is on it's feet, the rubber domes stretch.

Still, it's not an anti-earthquake platform, if you slap the furniture the LP12 is on, the stylus still might/will still jump off the record.

As it stands I will be parting ways with the LP12 and getting something in the likes of a heavy transrotor, Nottingham and the likes. The LP12 is just too frustrating to get right, which it never really is.

Have it setup leveled on a heavy dedicated rack with glass levels and spikes and even grabbing the volume knob of the preamp launches the needle out of the groove (so that's why it's a Trampolin? LOL) which makes it very frustrating to use, the suspension seems to have an opposite effect.

As it stands I will be parting ways with the LP12 and getting something in the likes of a heavy transrotor, Nottingham and the likes. The LP12 is just too frustrating to get right, which it never really is.

Have it setup leveled on a heavy dedicated rack with glass levels and spikes and even grabbing the volume knob of the preamp launches the needle out of the groove (so that's why it's a Trampolin? LOL) which makes it very frustrating to use, the suspension seems to have an opposite effect.
Might be worth replacing the springs with mushrooms before you move the Linn on. As I've mentioned on another thread or two, a set of the very similar Insoles made a friend's LP12 usable on a very wobbly structure on a wooden floor. Mushrooms also make set up of an LP12 much easier.

The springs / setup is fine, but it's such a weird turntable in how it handles vibrations. I would have to replace the rack first. As it is now it looks like any vibration of the rack transfers straight to the turntable.

The springs / setup is fine, but it's such a weird turntable in how it handles vibrations. I would have to replace the rack first. As it is now it looks like any vibration of the rack transfers straight to the turntable.
The mushrooms are a good recommendation and will likely solve your rack issue.

Are you referring to these, do they fit 1:1 on the Sondek?

Are you referring to these, do they fit 1:1 on the Sondek?

These are the mushrooms and this is the relevant pfm mushroom thread.

EDIT: I forgot to say you'd need three of the bushes.

Last edited:
The springs / setup is fine, but it's such a weird turntable in how it handles vibrations. I would have to replace the rack first. As it is now it looks like any vibration of the rack transfers straight to the turntable.but the
Sure, I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with your setup, but using the mushrooms will certainly change the behaviour of your deck in terms of how it deals with vibrations, possibly in a very useful way, so worth a punt if you like the Linn otherwise. Very easy to fit and adjust too.

I spoke to a renown Linn (LP12) dealership and the short answer was 'don't' regarding the rubber bushings, indeed saying it defeats the general design of the LP12.
Well, guess this is just not a table for me but it was a fun experience nonetheless, going on a hunt for a 1200G/GAE in the meantime,

I spoke to a renown Linn (LP12) dealership and the short answer was 'don't' regarding the rubber bushings, indeed saying it defeats the general design of the LP12.
Well, guess this is just not a table for me but it was a fun experience nonetheless, going on a hunt for a 1200G/GAE in the meantime,

Why hold the view of a dealer higher than those with direct experience? I installed the mushrooms a few weeks ago and the results have been nothing short of a huge success. Considering how cheap the mushrooms are, the bang for buck return is off the charts. But it's your deck, your money and your life so I'm happy to respect your choices, even if I think taking the word of dealer over those with experience is a little soft in the head.

advertisement

Back