advertisement

Linn LK140 plus Classik w. KEF IQ9 speakers

I wonder if someone could kindly comment on the following situation ?

When I recently received a second-hand Linn LK140 power amp I set the system up for passive bi-amplifying :

-Classik speaker outputs to HF binding posts on speakers (Kef IQ9s)
-LK140 speaker outputs to LF binding posts on speakers
-straps on speakers removed
-attention paid to phase.

When I switched the LK140 on, with a signal input to it from the Classik, there was a very alarming surge from the speakers of a very loud sort of white noise (not music, and not mains hum), so I switched the LK140 straight back off.

After that, with the LK140 switched off, I played a signal through the Classik and got a music signal through to the speakers, albeit I guess less the LF range - I only listened for a few seconds.

Finally, I replaced the straps, fed a signal to the speakers from only the LK140 (all speaker wires on Classik removed), and it worked, apparently with no damage having been done to the speakers.

I have looked around for answers, and it would seem that a/ this is due to the fact that the LK140 does not have a Zobel network in it and b/ (if I understand right) using NACA5 cable could solve the problem.

Any comments?

Hi,

I think if you ask on the Linn Forum there may be a few members who will have had the same set up as yourself.

As for the zobel network I think it is only the Naim that does not have this. I think the Linn amps are pretty bomb proof, I used Kimber and some old bell wire and it worked ok.

I suspect the issue is more in the combining of the classic to the LK140. If you get stuck PM me and I will ask a couple of people I know who use Linn kit.

Update:-

Just called a mate of mine.

You need to have a connection from the classic pre amp out into the 140. I dont think you mentioned if you had a set of phono leads between the classic and the 140.

He also found that the best combination was to biwire the speakers from one amp. Not to use the classic amp, just use the pre amp out into the 140 and use the 140 as the main amps.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

John

You need to have a connection from the classic pre amp out into the 140. I dont think you mentioned if you had a set of phono leads between the classic and the 140.

He also found that the best combination was to biwire the speakers from one amp. Not to use the classic amp, just use the pre amp out into the 140 and use the 140 as the main amps.

Yes I noticed the lack of a Classik-LK140 interconnect in the OP.

I would also suggest plugging it in again, sometimes we just miss stuff, doing it again you may get it right.

And yes, I've had experiences that uni-amping with the better amp is better than bi-amping with 2 amps of greatly different spec.

advertisement

Back