advertisement

Linn Klout vs quad 606/909/qsp

Yes sound is vastly better although they still don’t sound quite how I remember them sounding years ago.
That said they are old now.
Very happy with the klout though.
Age really shouldn’t be an issue for them. Has your room changed? They are fairly sensitive to placement.

^^ +1

The only reason I can think of would be dried up ferrofluid in the tweeters, if they use ferrofluid?

IIRC there's one electrolytic in the crossover.

I don’t think it can be the room I have lived in same house since the 80s so got used to how it sounds so to speak.

I will rig the keilidhs up later and see what happens with those.
Good point with ferrofluid and crossovers

I don’t think it can be the room I have lived in same house since the 80s so got used to how it sounds so to speak.

I will rig the keilidhs up later and see what happens with those.
Good point with ferrofluid and crossovers
Fair play then. I’d expect the Crusaders will be the better speaker by a fair margin, if they’re not, I’d get them checked over. The Keilidhs may have a bit more “boogie factor”, they’re good at that, but the crusaders should have them pegged at midrange and hf detail, imaging and all round refinement.

Yes the crusaders are excellent.
Some music sounds as it should other stuff sound off balance. I think one of the midrange units is fizzing on certain frequencies.
They are Dynaudio d76af drivers and seem impossible to obtain.
I think I will try and find something to replace them with but keep them and attempt to get them fully refurbed somehow.
As much as I like keilidhs half the music seems to vanish when use them instead.
I do still love listening to them sometimes though.

The Linn Klimax amps got good reviews but you never seem to hear about them....
I had a brace of four of the Klimax Chakra Twins, they’re absolutely stunning, but a big chunk of money.

Klouts are also very, very nice, and not such a big chunk of money. The OP has just bought one and is liking it a lot so far.

Just had a mad moment. Pair of Martin Logan Electromotion being delivered this week.
Let’s see how they work out.
Beginning to wish I had stuck with avoiding this hobby still.
I sold everything about 16 years ago and just listened to left overs and cheapys as and when they appears since.
Till about a month ago

Quick update.
Still very pleased with the klout very fast and controlled.
Sound changes dramatically as it warms up.
I bought a pair of Martin Logan motion 20.
Interesting speakers with the right music and sitting in the right spot they are excellent.
Bit light at bottom end.
Does confirm the crusaders have a problem though.
I am guessing the crossovers need a rebuild.
Haven’t decided yet wether to see about getting the crusaders refurbed or let someone else have a bargain.
The Logan’s are ok and interesting to listen to.
Likely I will change then though I’d i don’t get the crusaders serviced.

I was thinking of trying a Kairn with the klout.
See how it compares with the av5103.
If anyone has a sensibly priced Kairn going spare I may well be interested in the new year.

advertisement

Back