advertisement

Linn Klimax Renew 2

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
I see a few of these in the classifieds and am unclear as to what exactly they are.

From my limited understanding the Klimax is upgraded to a 3 version which basicllay means all the innards are removed and a new Klimax 3 is placed in the empty box.
Then the old innards are placed in a new basic looking box and this is the Renew?

Is this correct?
do Linn charge for this service?

SJB

I have a KDS2 Renew. It's a basic box with the original KDS2 innards. I gather that there is a charge for the re-use but is more than made up for the possible value of the renew. Mine is the best digital source I've ever listened to, including NDS + 2 x 555, Hugo, Auralic Vega.

Linn have offered the Renew option since the beginning of the KDS family. I started with a KDS/0 after switching from Naim CD555 with dual 555PS and have upgraded when each upgrade was available. Each time I have taken the renew option. The main board is removed from the Klimax case and moved to a new case with a new power supply. The KDS/3 upgrade has only been available for a few weeks so Renew KDS/2 streamers are very new too. The great thing is that Linn put a 5 year warranty on the Renew box and this is transferable to a new owner. Linn track serial numbers not owner names.

My Renew KDS/2 is boxed up waiting for a new home :)

I think Linn charge £3950 for the latest KDS upgrade and £1900 if you want the Renew option as well.

Nice one really then, you upgrade and sell the discarded innards for nearly the same price as the full upgrade.

Fair play to Linn, an excellent upgrade path with added bonus.

Didn't want to crap on any of the classifeids hence this thread but it will be interesting to see the level of interest in 2016 with so many other choices now and Linn not close to being Roon Ready just yet.

I'd be a very happy customer if I'd been and original KD owner and had effectively upgraded for free over the years.

SJB

I'm not sure it's entirely free. I've done the KDS upgrade treadmill over the years - taking the Renew option and then selling it on softens the blow but it ain't free.

I've just upgraded my KDS/2 to KDS/3 (but remember the last DS/1 to DS/2 upgrade was April last year!) and the cost of the upgrade is around £6350.

I reckon the going price of the Renew KDS/2 (there are a few appearing now) will be about £4,200 less eBay costs, which makes the whole upgrade £2,150. But the person who buys the Renew is getting an absolute bargain, plus 5 year warranty.

But this time, it's one heck of an upgrade - really impressive.

Blacker blacks, more organic, musical, extra octave at the bottom end, pinpoint imaging, ....

nah, just kidding :)

I'm still on /1 and couldn't be bothered to upgrade any further as I just don't listen to enough digital music to justify it, aside from which it sounded good back then and still does today. However several dealers have mentioned that the new /3 is a bit special. Certainly the Renew route is a very good way of recycling an excellent product and giving broader access to these fine streamers.

The latest is a big improvement, but 1 to 2 adds Exakt and marginal sonic improvements, so I agree, you're probably right. But this new Katalyst DAC seems very impressive

I'm on /1. Even if /3 is a big improvement, the /1 is still one of the very best music sources I've heard of any kind... My LP12 gets a lot less use than it used to since I've owned the KDS/1.

I'm on /1. Even if /3 is a big improvement, the /1 is still one of the very best music sources I've heard of any kind... My LP12 gets a lot less use than it used to since I've owned the KDS/1.

That's true - while mine was away for upgrade, I've tuned back into the LP12. Not too shabby.

That's true - while mine was away for upgrade, I've tuned back into the LP12. Not too shabby.

By all means, the LP12 still sounds amazing (should do being as it has the Keel, Ekos SE, Akiva, Lingo 2)... I am disabled though and can't be arsed crawling around on the Floor to look through my vinyl half the time, especially when the KDS/1 sounds as good as it does.

Just waiting for my KDS to get back from the upgrade. I reckon that and my LP12 get a similar amount of use but while the streamer is away I've been lent an Akurate DS - the turntable is getting loads more use!

Mick

Do you mean a DSM? Be interested to know just how Akurate its ADC is.

I have the standalone KDS streamer with the KK/1 pre amp... Pretty sure Mick and Nero are on about the standalone KDS too. Although Linn no longer make an analog preamp, they still make the standalone DS streamers, they would be crazy not to because they find their way into otherwise non Linn systems and existing Linn systems with an analog preamp. The new DAC technology applies both the KDS and KDSM.

I have the standalone KDS streamer with the KK/1 pre amp... Pretty sure Mick and Nero are on about the standalone KDS too. Although Linn no longer make an analog preamp, they still make the standalone DS streamers, they would be crazy not to because they find their way into otherwise non Linn systems and existing Linn systems with an analog preamp. The new DAC technology applies both the KDS and KDSM.

That's correct for me - I use a KK with the KDS...

Mick

On the subject of Linn ADCs, I have a Kivor Oktal DAC/ADC in my PA rack... It's very good n either direction. I brought a Majik DS for my parents, not sure if the analog inputs are converted to digital in that or if it actually has an analog volume control... Take that as a good thing, I can't tell, it just sounds very good.

Ah, thanks. Apart from LP12, I'm not familiar with Linn's range and thought the DSM AD/DA'd an analogue source. Just read the specs and now see it has a phono stage and analogue outputs.

I used to have a KK/1/D but I changed to a Music First Audio Baby Reference, which blew the KK into the weeds.
If you have a KDSM, then you don't need a preamp at all

advertisement

Back