advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

I did spin the sub platter and it didn’t seem to spin for that long to be honest maybe it’s that , well it didn’t spin for 40 rotations or whatever!! I thought putting anything inside the bearing was offlmits due to the potential to introduce contamination which may lead to damage to the bearing surfaces.

I wonder if the OP's bearing is binding somewhat. Try spinning just the sub-platter without the belt and see if it rotates freely.
It does rotate but not for a long time, I watched a video saying that some bearings are tight anyways but this one doesn’t rotate for ages

It does rotate but not for a long time, I watched a video saying that some bearings are tight anyways but this one doesn’t rotate for ages
Again, it's impossible to say without actually seeing it. Could be normal, might not be. Can't say.

The main worry would be that the bearing had previously been fitted by someone who didn’t pay close attention to the torque setting for the top nut. If it’s been tightened too much the bearing liners can be distorted creating a sticky bearing.

This is why Karousel bearings aren’t guaranteed if not fitted by a dealer. And a good reason someone might sell one cheap second hand.

The bearing should be free moving.

Regarding putting putting something in to clean the bearing out, I wouldn’t worry either way. A Q tip will be fine. Or don’t clean it if you prefer and just reoil it. If it’s low on oil it will not run freely.

These are simple devices, it’s not a surgical instrument, buy some oil and a belt.

People over-complicate these.

Haven’t heard of a bearing being distorted by over tightening. I can see how that would happen but perhaps you’d really need to go to town on it to do that!

Start with the basics

The bearing should be free moving.

Regarding putting putting something in to clean the bearing out, I wouldn’t worry either way. A Q tip will be fine.
It depends. Some of them will drop fluff into the bearing. Use a lint free one or make sure you flush the bearing out.

Since we are speculating on what the previous owner may have done to screw up the deck. Here’s my take. I not too long ago replaced a 10 year old genuine Linn belt on my Lingo deck. It worked perfectly well up until the time I replaced it. The new Linn belt sounds significantly better and I have before after recordings to prove it.

I’m thinking perhaps the previous owner messed up the motor playing around with the aftermarket blue belt that was all the rage a year or so ago. It required speed adjustment if used with a Lingo 3 or older power supply.

I’m thinking perhaps the previous owner messed up the motor playing around with the aftermarket blue belt that was all the rage a year or so ago.
It's possible. I have a blue belt and I couldn't get it to run at the correct speed. It's certainly different from the Linn belt. I have another aftermarket belt here which does not run at the same speed as a Linn belt. Belts are not just a straight swap, you need to adjust the pulley if you change one.

It's possible. I have a blue belt and I couldn't get it to run at the correct speed. It's certainly different from the Linn belt. I have another aftermarket belt here which does not run at the same speed as a Linn belt. Belts are not just a straight swap, you need to adjust the pulley if you change one.
This is true.
I didn’t have to adjust speed with the Thakker belt but I did with both versions of the Blue-belt that I tried.
On my turnable, the curent blue belt is at the limit of the speed adjustment available by tilting the motor.
None of the Belts I have here, being a used Linn one, 2 Thakkers, 2 blue belts and several others behave as the OPs one does.
I think you should try a new belt first, of whatever type you can easily get hold of.
Its a shame that linn charge so much for theirs. 😞

I was told that the turntable was set up by a linn dealer 12 months ago and that the bearing will have been set to the correct torque at that time, I moved it using the cymbosis guide im just hoping that it’s a case of something simple. Thanks to all who have offered advice I appreciate all of the answers. I wish there was a place who provided education as to take these apart and put them back together again as I’d like to learn the ins and outs.

I wish there was a place who provided education as to take these apart and put them back together again as I’d like to learn the ins and outs.
That's certainly something you can do, there is ample information on the net. Are you mechanically minded? The LP12 is a very simple device but if you don't have a good feel for nuts and bolts it's quite easy to do damage.

The main worry would be that the bearing had previously been fitted by someone who didn’t pay close attention to the torque setting for the top nut. If it’s been tightened too much the bearing liners can be distorted creating a sticky bearing.

This is why Karousel bearings aren’t guaranteed if not fitted by a dealer. And a good reason someone might sell one cheap second hand.
I was told this at last weekend's Hi-Fi show. I was quite astonished that they designed it that way. I'm surprised the bearing doesn't fall off over time given it's just above finger tight.

I think you should try a new belt first, of whatever type you can easily get hold of.
Its a shame that linn charge so much for theirs. 😞
It is daylight robbery but 1 new belt should last many years no probs. However you can be sure it will cost you more next time!

Personally I still have my previous old belt which I don't think in performance terms is operating any differently.

I was told this at last weekend's Hi-Fi show. I was quite astonished that they designed it that way. I'm surprised the bearing doesn't fall off over time given it's just above finger tight.
The resulting clamping force on such a fine pitched thread with just above finger tightness is considerable. This is why you’ve got to be careful not to over tighten it.

Personally I still have my previous old belt which I don't think in performance terms is operating any differently.
Years ago I used to replace my Linn belt every year or so and I never noticed any difference in sound quality. Today Linn say a belt should last for many years, and cost many pounds.

Years ago I used to replace my Linn belt every year or so and I never noticed any difference in sound quality. Today Linn say a belt should last for many years, and cost many pounds.
I don’t know why you would replace your belt every year. The owner’s manual that came with my 1987 LP12 says the following:

BELT. The belt should last for at least five years of regular use. The belt can be cleaned at the same time as the pulley is cleaned. The best method of cleaning a belt is by pulling it through a damp cloth.

I’m not sure where you get your information regarding the LP12. I can only think it’s the same source that recommends frequent oil changes.

My understanding is that there was a change to the belt several years ago and the life has extended to around 10 years of regular use.

Take the belt off. Then it should spin for a long time. It won't with the belt connected.

Maybe it has been used a lot with the 45 RPM pulley, that could certainly stretch the belt…

The resulting clamping force on such a fine pitched thread with just above finger tightness is considerable. This is why you’ve got to be careful not to over tighten it.
It seems the torque settings for the Karousel have been all over the place since its introduction. Are these current torque settings set by Linn published somewhere?

Finger tightness? Not sure there’s a torque wrench that goes that low, certainly the Sturtevant Richmont didn’t go low enough for my Khan top plate fittings which were best hand tuned.

BTW, there’s a thread on the Lejonklou forum that states the torque settings for the Karousel is 7.0 NM for the lower nut and the 3.4 or 3.5 NM for the upper nut. My torque screwdriver works just fine in that range.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back