advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

Most people say that the smooth side of the belt should go against the pulley but, if I remember correctly, Linn used to say that you should try all four orientations and see what sounds best.

Four orientations? Smooth side in, smooth side out. What are the other two?!

To be fair, people seem to be taking a very simple turntable and over-complicating things drastically!
The LP12 is a very simple device, but the ways that people find to mess it up are indeed ingenious.

I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the belt and then a silicone based pledge polish to prepare it.

Last edited:
The LP12 is a very simple device, but the ways that people find to mess it up are indeed ingenious.

I use isopropyl alcohol to clean the belt and then a silicone based mr Sheen to prepare it.
Why the second stage? I wouldn’t put anything silicone based anywhere near a belt.

A little bit of background I picked the deck up and packed it as recommended , got the deck home unpacked it put the belt on put the platter on and played a side of vinyl!, very happy I was to, sounded fantastic to me. When I came to change a record that’s when the problems started, removed record as I’ve always done whilst the patter was spinning and then the platter wasn’t rotating. Motor was still running as I could hear what probably was the belt slipping on the lower motor more than likely. Since then I’ve cleaned the belt put it back on and can only get it to rotate after coaxing it. Will not spin up when I press start. I reversed platter and watched what was happening, pressed start button and motor was spinning , belt on lower section of motor but belt not rotating. I’m thinking either the motor is slightly out of position or the belt is slack but as I say it played the side of vinyl perfectly before I changed the LP. I didn’t notice any slowing of the album at all.

A little bit of background...
Kinda going round in circles here. You need to stop telling us the story and start doing what we suggest. First of which is replace the belt. If that doesn't work we can talk more. If you don't want to replace the belt we can't help you. You want a Linn belt that's either new or that you know is good.

If it's not the belt it's very difficult to diagnose without seeing it.

Incidentally, it is sensible and usual to give the platter a help when starting. With most LP12 power supplies they go straight to full power when you hit the button and the torque causes the belt to slip on the pulley. Apart from the ugly shuddering it tears rubber off the belt and manks up the pulley.

Thanks I’ll be getting one after the bank holiday hopefully it’s just that. But if it isn’t the belt and I’ve paid £60 for something I don’t need, thanks though

If anyone has any other recommendations of belts to try at a more favourable price , just in case the belt is good. I mean linn don’t make their belts in house I presume so must be buying them from somewhere.

You're not making this easy!

If you buy an aftermarket belt and the deck still misbehaves you're not going to know if there is something wrong with the deck or if it's the belt.

Why don't you just take the deck to a dealer? Someone who knows LP12s should be able to sus this out in two minutes.

If anyone has any other recommendations of belts to try at a more favourable price , just in case the belt is good. I mean linn don’t make their belts in house I presume so must be buying them from somewhere.
Thakker belts are nicely made and to my ears sound as good as the Linn ones but people with more golden ears than mine sometimes say otherwise. 😉
Currently, I use one of the Mike P supplied blue belts. I do slightly prefer it to the Thakker or Linn belts But it’s hard to describe why.
It seems to give a fuller and more tonally rich sound but it is only slight and because it’s hard to get a proper before and after evaluation, it may be just my imagination.
Thakker belts are really good value, imho, but either of these options are cheaper than the Linn belts.

Be amazed but it’s possible.

If you want to be practical (I would)

Get a new belt and some bearing oil (of any sort for LP12). For goodness sake don’t buy a £60 Linn one that’s crazy.

Take the platter off. Clean up the bearing hole with a Q tip and if you like some IPA but it’s not essential.

Refill the bearing with oil. There’s normally instructions but basically there’s enough going in so it ‘starts’ to want to come out ‘in play’. There’s lots of ‘this many drops’ and so on but the bearing basically wants to be nearly filled (once the spindle is in)

The oil normally comes with some instructions.

Clean the pulley and sub platter with ipa or window cleaner or whatever.

See if it’s fixed.

If not adjust the motor. Google the lp12 service manual.

The outer platter can go on the inner upside down so that you can see what’s going on.

It’s either a bearing oil oroblem (I’d be amazed, but fresh oil always a good idea) or the wrong or a crappy belt, or a contaminated belt, or (very unlikely) a grossly mis-adjusted motor position.

Sounds like the deck has been fiddled with before so why not put a fresh belt and some new oil in.

Strongly suspect it’s a duff belt.

advertisement

Back