advertisement

Linn Karousel Bearing oil check?.

I’ll just take this belt to a linn dealer tomorrow and ask them whether it’s the real deal or not?. I would expect it is as it came with the Majik LP12 apparently , but I cannot feel any difference to the texture on either side of it. Even tried it on my lips as was suggested elsewhere and it didn’t feel rough or smooth same either side. Could be sat here for a month of Sundays taking the platter off spinning the belt around inside out upside down, you name it I’ve tried it and it’s made not a jot of difference

There’s no point messing with changing Linn oil unless you contaminated it in some way.
I don't know you would describe it, separating, breaking down, but the oil degrades over time. Sure, it'll take a few years but if you see an LP12 bearing that has gone a long time without an oil change it is not pretty.

You do what you want but changing the oil is cheap and easy so I think it's obtuse not to.

I don't know you would describe it, separating, breaking down, but the oil degrades over time. Sure, it'll take a few years but if you see an LP12 bearing that has gone a long time without an oil change it is not pretty.

You do what you want but changing the oil is cheap and easy so I think it's obtuse not to.
I changed the oil on my original Cirkus bearing that I’ve had for decades maybe three times for various reasons. It’s always looked pretty to me. We’re not talking oil in a gas engine.

Messing with the bearing oil and increasing the chance of getting the well contaminated is something I would avoid.

can u do a video to help us?
I wish I could but not that great at uploading stuff, basically the belt when the motor isn’t running is on the angled area of the motor and when the button is pressed to start it the belt doesn’t move. Motor spins but belt remains were it is. I cleaned the belt thoroughly and let it dry out and no change. I also cleaned the motor gently just in case it was greasy and preventing the belt from grasping the pulley and rising up. I really think this belt is slack hence it not gripping the motor and been able to initiate rotation.
The seller assured me that this belt is the original one and was installed by a linn service chap at his house. I guess the only way I’ll know for sure is to take it to a linn dealer and ask them to try it and see if it does the same thing on their deck. If it does job done buy a new genuine belt, if it works on another linn well that will be another thing I guess . The thing that puzzles me is these belts ain’t supposed to stretch and be good for a few years of use, if it is a genuine belt ( why wouldn’t it be ) I think less than 2 years is poor for what they cost to replace. Seller told me the deck was working perfectly last week at his place, I just wish he had of left the belt on the thing so that I could mark it to confirm it’s the correct orientation. It does rotate if you give it a helping hand but you’ve got to ensure the belt is on the flat area to achieve this as it won’t travel up from the angled area to the vertical flat area of the motor so it’s a bit bit and miss. For sure it won’t run from a stationary state the motor rotates and the belt just judders whilst motor rotating. When the belt is off the motor I’ve watched the motor and it is running regular and silent so I think the motor and hopefully power supply are ok .

A belt that is 2 years old should have a line down the middle of it where it had been contacting the crown of the pulley. Assuming it was sorted out for orientation by the previous owner, I would just go with that.

I don’t think I’ve seen a better advert for buying from a dealership in a while.

strange thing is I put the belt on put platter on and mat and then played a little feat album - no problem at all then I came to change LP as I’ve always done with my previous linn while it’s still rotating and the platter stopped spinning - probably due to the belt slipping down. Although by no means anywhere near knowledgeable about the mechanics of these belts I would think that’s the cause. But not having another to confirm this I don’t know.
Regarding the line on the belt as was also mentioned above I did see one on it but once I cleaned it this seems to have faded.
Whether I’m putting the belt on wrongly I don’t know as I start at the main sub platter first then motor second. But this belt for sure doesn’t seem to be grip the motor and move up which makes me think it’s either.

A. To slack
B. Not a genuine belt in the first instance.

The motor seems to rotate in a silent uniform manner no stuttering or noises from that.

Thanks for all this advice people it sounded great for the 20 mins of listening I had !!

Make sure the motor fixing screws are adjusted to the right place in the slots. Normally 1 forward & 1 back. If they are both forward it is likely the belt will not have the required tension & as such may cause this problem. Of course if you need to do this you need to slacken off the two speed/alignment adjustment screws first & then set them up correctly again.

I also remember from the past that a very fine dusting of talcum powder can help.

Make sure the motor fixing screws are adjusted to the right place in the slots. Normally 1 forward & 1 back. If they are both forward it is likely the belt will not have the required tension & as such may cause this problem. Of course if you need to do this you need to slacken off the two speed/alignment adjustment screws first & then set them up correctly again.

I also remember from the past that a very fine dusting of talcum powder can help.
Thanks for that but it seems something I’d not be confident in doing myself .

Is that genuine Linn talcum powder, or is Johnson's okay?

I don’t think I’ve seen a better advert for buying from a dealership in a while.
Indeed. I’d look into how to properly transport the LP12 and get the turntable to a competent dealer. I question much of the advice given regarding the LP12 on this forum.

I think you're going to have to get the deck looked at. It's a simple device and you should be able to see what's wrong but if you can't you'll need to get a pro to check it out.

advertisement

Back