advertisement

Linn Kans on Wall Mounts?

foxwelljsly

Me too, I ate one sour too.
Has anyone here tried Linn Kans on wall mounted brackets? If so what sort of brackets were you using?

They really would be perfect in our new front room, but would be even better wall mounted. Was thinking of making some wall brackets up with heavy MDF and spikes.

Sound organisation did a dedicated Kan wall mount. Not many around for sale and as a result fetch a lot of money.

Sound organisation did a dedicated Kan wall mount.

Yes, My mk1 Kans are mounted on Sound organisation brackets in the little office system upstairs system and they sound great! I bought mine here on pfm for not too much money, so they do come up occasionally; definitely worth seeking out. They set the Kans at the perfect distance from the wall.

My mkII active Kans downstairs are mounted on mkII stands and I have often thought of trying Sound organisation brackets; the only problem would be in accommodating the plugs of the Atlas loudspeaker cables that I use.

To be honest, it wouldn't be that difficult to get these stands made and I doubt that the Sound organisation would mind if they were copied, as that haven't made them in years.

I have Linn Kan Sound Organisation wall brackets temporarily underneath Monitor Audio 252’s - which are a little precarious, but do work well. Also sited my Rega Kytes on them prior, and for this size box they make for a very sturdy platform. Well worth seeking out a pair of the SO brackets - they come up from time to time.

So much so, I’m hoping to negotiate and experiment with a local metal fabricators, making a set of bespoke SO type units for my next speakers - something that allows the fixings to be behind the speaker itself and to remove the 45 degree angle struts underneath (tight wall space due to fixed desk position). I’ll make a wooden maquette or two, then submit them for evaluation.

As above, SO wall brackets are the way to go with Kans. I have both mk2 Kan floor stands and SO wall brackets and for me the wall brackets are better, especially on a suspended floor as my walls are solid. Highly recommended.

Alternatives exist if SO stands are unavailable/don't suit.

Linn produced a thing called the 'Brakit' which retailed around 15 years ago for £50. It was well made and solid and could be adjusted vertically and laterally but was very rigid once fixed. Downside was it was meant to be screwed to the back of the speaker cabinet. The Kan 3 came with pre-drilled guide holes for the screws. (Yes... I know.. Kan 3 bore little resemblance to original Kans.)

Sound Factory also made rigid spiked wall mounts. I had a pair of Sound Factory SF 4s (purchased from a Linn Dealer) under my Royd 'The Seven' speakers way back. They would also have suited Kans.

Worth a look on eBay or a few calls to Linn dealers.

Mull

I plan to make some out of wood to original dimensions (which are on pfm somewhere - I'm overseas on holiday, so regret no link).

Thanks all. A bit of research has thrown up some Target options too. It doesn't look like a massive prob to find something and an MDF DIY solution looks like a possibility, too.

The beauty of the original SO shelfs ( and Target look-a-likes ) is the extreme rigidity that is accomplished with the metal shelf and a good connection with the back wall. The tiny spikes are the cherry-on-top. I am skeptical if a DIY, wooden shelf will provide the same. Best to troll the auction sites and get a proper pair imo.
ATB,
Mark

I now have a pair of early Kans on target S8 wall stands (which are very rigid) either side of a window, bolted to a supporting wall, but I am getting absolutely no bass.

Target S8 stands (on right, not my pic):

951210-target-s7-and-s8-wall-mount-brackets-for-bookshelf-speakers.jpg

I have previously had Kans working wonders with my amp (Exposure super XV), so it's not that.

The stands have curious little metal studs rather than spikes. So I can only put this down to this or the fact that there's a large window between them (the inside edge of each speaker is now about 100mm from a large sash window).

Any suggestions? How far should the top edge of the speaker be from the back wall?

cheers

My guess is the window is the problem, not being a solid wall and all.

I have my MKI Kans on MKII stands and have used SO wall brackets on the same wall and get an amazing amount of bass....

Or, are you down a bass driver, I have had that too.

Also I'm not spiking my Kans, so it won't be that.

Could it also be that without a centre support between vertical and horizontal extensions, low-frequency energy (an oxymoron, I know in regard to Kans) is being sucked out of the Kans via the somewhat more flexible nature of the Target brackets?

Could it also be that without a centre support between vertical and horizontal extensions, low-frequency energy (an oxymoron, I know in regard to Kans) is being sucked out of the Kans via the somewhat more flexible nature of the Target brackets?

It's possible, those Target brackets look very clunky by comparison to the SO brackets which were designed for Kans....

advertisement

Back