advertisement

Linn Kairn: Dead?

The audio circuitry runs dual rail 15v so about 19 pre reg sounds right.

with only 14v you’d have been running the amps about 12v unregulated.

it wouldn’t have sounded very good.

Have you done a basic recap including tants on the original smps?
The pre reg voltages on the original SMPS is around +/- 24v, the regulators drop about 9v each. The PSU out of an intersekt should have those rails, but I think some of the other rails differ slightly. I’ve got both varieties here so I’ll take some measurements and compare them pin for pin when I get chance.

I did try an Intersekt PSU in a Numerik and it didn’t work properly. I’ve a feeling it could be made to work fairly easily since it’s essentially the same PCB, it’ll probably only a couple of small component variations. I’ve just never gotten round to investigating it. I repaired the original SMPS from my Numerik, the main fault was a shorted bridge diode making it blow fuses violently, with that replaced and a recap, it’s been working perfectly for the past seven years or so... I dropped lucky on this Numerik, I paid £25 for it (non working obviously), and spent about the same on parts fixing it. It’s a fabulous sounding thing for that money.

"The battery is corroded and will need replacing at some point"

Sort that out quickly - mine had a dodgy battery which then leaked and completely destroyed the front circuit board.

The audio circuitry runs dual rail 15v so about 19 pre reg sounds right.

with only 14v you’d have been running the amps about 12v unregulated.

it wouldn’t have sounded very good.

Have you done a basic recap including tants on the original smps?

Indeed, it did not sound good with the lintersekt SMPS. Sounded very edgy.
I did a full recap except for the tants and the 33K caps and the SMPS. I will be doing the rest of the caps soon, but I think I will leave the tants. Would it be better to change them?

The tants on the bottom of the unit are 22uf 35v and are surface mount devices. They are a known source of problems and I replace them with leaded components soldered directly to the pads.

My Kairn main board has no surface mount components and only has tants in the MC phono stage. I have replaced the surface mount ones in a round brilliant before.

advertisement

Back