advertisement

Linn Ekos SE/1 fitted to Kore DIY

Hylobates

I have just replaced my Ittock LVII on my Akurate level LP12 with a 2nd hand Ekos SE/1. It seemed to be a pretty straightforward procedure. I was told the tricky part was the arm cable, but as I already had a fairly new T-Kable I didn't have to move it at all. I weighed the Ittock and Ekos and they were within a few grams of each other so I didn't need to adjust the suspension. The only thing that concerned me was the positioning of the arm collar. I don't possess a Kinky alignment tool but there didn't seem to be much room for adjustment on the Kore anyway. Have I done the right thing or was this a job strictly for the dealers?

Yes it it is big improvement. I spent a few hours trying to pinpoint the areas where it sounded better and in the end I had ticked every box. But a few areas are outstanding. A more detailed and tuneful bass, greater separation of instruments in the soundstage and better dynamics are the highlights.
Eyeing up Radikal motor and Keel next....

The Kore doesn't permit any significant movement of the arm positioning. But it's designed for Linn arms so you don't need to worry. You might have a fraction of a mm movement but the Kinky isn't going to change that. Just install it and check the alignment at the cartridge end. Again, it should be similar to the Ittok but I'd double check.

You don’t need a kinky because the Kore arm Board is fixed and this means the spindle to arm hole in Kore is fixed. There is a very small amount of play I suppose at the arm base, but as stated above when fitting a linn arm this is tiny. I would personally still align the cartridge with the Linn template, or at least check it, but doubt much if any adjustments will be needed. Excellent arm, enjoy!

Relax, that must sound stonking. Take your time, as Kore is actually quite good, and will easily show the difference in tonearms.

Radikal is a different kettle of fish though....

Interesting comments about Kore. It seems as though the Keel is last on the list of improvements available to the LP12 as the Kore is actually pretty good.
The Radikal however seems universally praised. This would tie in with my dealers opinion. I intend to get the Karousel with Radikal sometime in 2021 and leave Keel to last. Then that leaves cartridge and phono stage to worry about (Krystal, Cyrus Signature). A whole new can of worms I think you'll agree

Sorry me again...
One of the biggest improvements is a huge reduction in surface noise. Can't work out why this would be, but happy anyway. Any corroboration or theories would be interesting

Interesting comments about Kore. It seems as though the Keel is last on the list of improvements available to the LP12 as the Kore is actually pretty good.
The Radikal however seems universally praised. This would tie in with my dealers opinion. I intend to get the Karousel with Radikal sometime in 2021 and leave Keel to last. Then that leaves cartridge and phono stage to worry about (Krystal, Cyrus Signature). A whole new can of worms I think you'll agree

Over the last few years I’ve moved from a Circus chassis/Lingo 2/Ekos 2/Akiva LP12 put together in 2000 ish to (in order) Radikal and Krystal -> Kore -> Urika -> Ekos SE -> Keel -> Urika 2 -> Karousel. Every stage has made a real appreciable difference. FWIW, I read that Kore -> Keel wasn’t a big deal, but I thought it was. Smallest difference IMHO was Lingo 2 -> Urika. Hard to choose between the others but for £750 the Karousel is hard to beat.

HTH

Iain.

Does anyone know who makes the Karousel bearing? Is it SME? I know they make the Keel. It would make sense to use the same supplier and I can't think of a engineering firm more suitable.

Surely Linn make the Karousel in-house as the whole fuss about the LP12 originally was the Castle (Linn) bearing?

My LP12/Lingo2/Ekos1 was once the top spec fifteen years ago, now it is just off the base spec!

Linn use a variety of external manufacturers, some I know for sure and others I don’t.

I’m not sure they make bearings at Eaglesham. At least I never saw them being made there. I did see outer platters being finished and tonearm being assembled.

Quite rightly they will keep third party manufacturers close to their chest.

Sorry me again...
One of the biggest improvements is a huge reduction in surface noise. Can't work out why this would be, but happy anyway. Any corroboration or theories would be interesting
How can the bearing, in and of itself, reduce surface noise? It may reduce bearing induced noise but record surface noise, it can’t do that......surely?

How can the bearing, in and of itself, reduce surface noise? It may reduce bearing induced noise but record surface noise, it can’t do that......surely?
I haven't changed the bearing, only the tonearm. Still doesn't make sense unless I suppose it's a subtle change in geometry, tracking weight, bias etc.
Maybe I've accidentally hit a sweet spot :)

I think it's a case of tightening up the things that would amplify surface noise rather than having reduced it at source. I'm sure the new bearing will be made by Castle, and that it won't be a secret either.

advertisement

Back