advertisement

Linn Classik Movie Di - DOA

Throw caution to the wind and wiggled about with a wooden spudger and the PCB eventually came away from the metal enclosure/sleeve.

The problem was the two sticky pads holding it in place:-

SMPS Metal Enclosure_1

Next on the Agenda is to look for the components associated with that scorching!

That's the yellow transformer and the small cap with the black top next to the small light blue/teal cap.

A short on that transformer is game over.

Thanks again sq225917 - I'm struggling to find a datasheet for this ETD-39 transformer so can anyone point me in the right direction.

If there is a short in this transformer why can't it just be replaced i.e why would it be game over?

Proving impossible to remove the FETs without damaging the board because of the way their Drain tabs have been flow-soldered to the underside of the PCB through a matrix of vias which acts as a heat sink!

The board says PCB254/L4 if that helps?

So looking for a replacement SMPS, even non-Linn, but I need to know the required outputs - does anyone know these values?

I know you said it's impossible to find a Linn power supply etc
But I'm not suggesting that you look....just find a similar sized and rated switch mode PS and put the whole thing in
Simple , quick, job done

There are literally hundreds of Chinese ones out there with the right output voltage...just take the plastic case off and stick it in

Ps
Do Linn really bother making their own SMPS or just buy them in??

Thanks Mynamemynaim - I agree with you and have no hesitation in looking at a non-Linn SMPS of which there are innumerable for sale on the likes of eBay and other places.

My problem is that as I don't have a circuit diagram/schematic or any clues on the PCB I am unaware of what the output voltage and current should be? I also note that the ribbon cable from the SMPS to the Amp board uses four connections and I have no idea what those supplies are?

I have the standard Linn SMPS removed from an Exotik when I had a Dynamik fitted. Is there any chance it would be suitable? I doubt it personally as the Exotik is a pre-amp only, so wouldn't need as large a rating as the Clasik. But it's worth checking, I will dig it out and compare with your pics.

Thanks mickhick1 - it will be interesting to compare and contrast your SMPS?

I had a standard Linn SMPS removed from an AV5125 when I upgraded to Dynamik but sold it on many years ago!!!

So progress with this Linn Classik Movie Di has completely stopped as I am unable to source:-

1. A replacement SMPS
2. A circuit diagram/schematic
3. Details of the outputs from the SMPS to the Amp board?

Can anyone help with any of these options - thanks in advance!

Just a gentle BUMP to keep this Thread alive in the hope that someone can help with any of the options listed above or is able to suggest any alternatives?

I assumed that I had three options with this Linn Classik Movie Di:-

1. A replacement SMPS - impossible to obtain!

2. A circuit diagram/schematic - I've been unable to source anything that matches what I have?

3. Details of the outputs from the SMPS to the Amp board - there is a ribbon cable from the SMPS to the Amp board that uses four connections and I have no idea what those supplies are?

If I knew the answer to Point 3 above I could happily source a non-LInn SMPS to power this Linn Classik Movie Di.

As I suspected, from what I can see looking at the PSU itself from here, it’s very similar to the circuit used in the Sizmik (and all other Linn subs of the era)… it uses a VB-408 voltage regulator which drops rectified main down to between 1.25v and 30v (basically like an LM-317 for high voltage applications), they’re undercooled (Linn’s fault), and obsolete (not Linn’s fault). They sometimes fail open, in which case, if you can find one (there is a convoluted substitute), it’s possible to fix… sometimes they fail short, and blow the arse out of everything on the output rail, which will scrap it. You’ll probably find that there’s a split rail output, I’d expect in the vicinity of 35-0-35 but could be higher, and I’m guessing the fourth line is probably a feedback line to monitor the output, there’s a line that runs from somewhere by the output stage on the Sizmik to an optocoupler, which is a feedback line for monitoring the output. I’m fully expecting that if you trace back from the output, you’ll find an optocoupler on one of the lines.

Thanks linnfomaniac83 - basically the SMPS is scrap as all the FETs, output diodes and some caps were shorted and irreplaceable due to the way that Linn have soldered through the PCB to provide a heat sink!

I have, however, obtained a Linn Miniline Universal PSU to play with. Only problem (challenge!) is that this PSU has a ten-pin output adapter while the Classik has a four-pin input adapter!

Any pointers on a possible way forward would be most welcome.

It's taken many months of searching but I think I have found some details of the SMPS output: -

SMPS_Output by Alistair McNeill

The 8-pin connector goes to the Power Amp board which looks like this: -

SMPS_Input by Alistair McNeill

The DEMAND connection to the P700 appears to go here but not sure what this does: -

Demand by Alistair McNeill

As the original SMPS is beyond economic repair would it simply be a case of finding a suitable replacement with +30V/0/-30V outputs?

advertisement

Back