advertisement

Linn cartridge rebuilds

Well I have a decision to make.

1. Goldring, complete strip down replacing the cantilever with new & rewinding the coils with new wire, similar to Linn rebuild that I was happy with. Result, robust cartridge that can withstand multiple rebuilds.

2. ES, keep original bits, have them go over it and replace diamond.

About same price in the end.

I'm leaning toward Goldring as the Asaka must be over 25 years at this point and Goldring can put in new gubbins probably very similar to what Linn was doing when they had their scheme going.

The only bits that ever need replacing are the diamond and the suspension.

So where is the suspension? Is it part of the cantilever assembly or magnet structure. My understanding is that the suspension would be part of the moving assembly which would have been replaced under the Linn scheme.

If you have a link that shows the various parts of a moving coil cartridge that would be great.

Esco actually have the ability to do more than retip. They can also replace coils, suspensions and cantilevers if required.

They will normally suggest what they think is sensible but could do things differently if you specifically request it.

I'd certainly trust them a lot more than Goldring.

So where is the suspension? Is it part of the cantilever assembly or magnet structure. My understanding is that the suspension would be part of the moving assembly which would have been replaced under the Linn scheme.

If you have a link that shows the various parts of a moving coil cartridge that would be great.

mcprinciple2z.jpg

Thanks for the pic, so the 50 thousand dollar question is:

Is the rubber part of the moving assembly that gets replaced and if not, does it matter?

I recall a conversation with Mr. Hodgson that lead me to believe it was not a worry with my Linn MC's.

Well the Goldring rebuild includes new suspension, so I'm imagine the end result will be similar to a Linn rebuild when they were offering such.

if I wanted a cart to sound like it did before it wore out the stylus I'd replace the stylus only, certainly not replace all the moving parts with others, not unless I knew they were identical and sourced from the original cartridge component manufacturer and assembled and tested on the same gear.

Too many variables.

if I wanted a cart to sound like it did before it wore out the stylus I'd replace the stylus only, certainly not replace all the moving parts with others, not unless I knew they were identical and sourced from the original cartridge component manufacturer and assembled and tested on the same gear.

Too many variables.

Exactly, and you could end up removing a perfectly good suspension, for a 'new' one that may not last as long.

Exactly, and you could end up removing a perfectly good suspension, for a 'new' one that may not last as long.

The Goldring rebuild will be similar to the Linn rebuild I received on my Klyde in 1997 and Troika in 2000. Between the two cartridges, they have 21,000 hours on them and they are still going strong with the suspension that was fitted. If the Asaka does as well I'm fine with that. I'd rather start with something newly rebuilt with good parts and work from there than with an original that is 25 years old at least, but that's just me.

I'd ask what parts they are using before I had any cart rebuilt. If you are happy with a mongrel then it's not an issue but I'd want to know they were using assemblies from Supex/Lyra depending on the cart.

I'd ask what parts they are using before I had any cart rebuilt. If you are happy with a mongrel then it's not an issue but I'd want to know they were using assemblies from Supex/Lyra depending on the cart.

I believe they are the same parts used for the Linn rebuilds which are OK with me as I've been pleased with both my Klyde and Troika which came from that same program. I've been using Linn MC cartridges, Karmas, Troikas and Klydes new and rebuilt since 1985, the character has been pretty much in the same ballpark all these years. Once I have the same diamond on each, I imagine there will be little difference between the three. We'll see.

I'll do needle drops of each when they first go onto my deck and in a few years once I get around to rotating them all I'll create a thread and you all can rank or choose your preference. ;). My deck will likely remain the same for the foreseeable future so the only variable will be the cartridge.

The Asaka combines the original Asak generator assembly with the Karma metal body, its good, I had one but it isn't in Troika territory. The Karma wasn't much better and certainly not worth the additional money I thought when I bought mine new, but the Troika hadn't arrived at that point.

From "Linn Magazine":

The Karma uses a more sophisticated magnet assembly than the Asaka with a more accurately aligned version of the stylus.

The Asaka was introduced after the Karma. It has the same magnet and coil system used in Linn's first moving-coil cartridge, the Asak, but it's performance has been hugely improved by the strong metal body which allows for more secure fixing to the headshell-it also means that the cartridge magnet assembly can be glued to the body with an aluminum based aircraft glue. This has led to a dramatic improvement over the old Asak model.

I look forward to getting this rebuilt Asaka back and slumming with it for the next year or so.;)

no aro in your future? i remember your first troika vs klyde comparison with the troika having a more fun personality. t was young adult and k was middle aged :D i guess that would make my k9 a teenager and suppose adikt would be a collegiate?

I have not heard the Klyde on a Linn arm but it is said to be much better. ( which I think makes sense )

My low opinion on the Klyde is purely based with the ARO.

advertisement

Back