advertisement

Linn bloody Linn

My Sekrit DSM is still supported with software updates. Plays everything I want to and sounds great.
'Snarky' emails are unlikely to get a good response.
It affects all Akurate DS and DSM players not just mine , how many times you need to open the ticket and hear we're working on it ?

Based on this...

...which states... "However, Tidal Hi-Res streams are very computationally intensive. Our earlier products will struggle decoding and playing back these Hi-Res files. Until Tidal can address this intense stream issue, from Davaar105, these earlier products will have limited sample rate of Hi-Res streams (CD quality and higher)."

...they give a list of "earlier products" which covers their entire DS/DSM range up until 2018...

...due to them using the "CORE1 processor".

It is hard to see what Linn can do at this point if their product genuinely doesn't have enough CPU power to do the decoding given how Tidal present the data.

C
Not very good for a high end brand to play hi-resolution streams from one provider only

Debatable, my Linn Akurate DS- warranty run out end of last or beginning of this year - won’t play high resolution files from Tidal , reported few times , tickets opened - been ignored . Sent them another snarky email couple weeks ago , this time got reply - it’s Tidal fault and there would be no resolution to this.
I guess there is no more money to be had from Akurate range hence no support.
Yes but you can’t expect them to forecast every change & you can easily access Hi-Res by changing streamer. Why get so upset just choose a different brand?

in case of Linn this is definitely correct
Yeah but I've known Linn for forty years so wouldn't buy any of their electronics. I still the remember the unreliability of the LK1/LK2 and how quickly Linn dropped support for them. I remember people talking about this issue back then, at a time when Naim still serviced every amp they'd ever made.

The root cause is the same. The decision to make a product that can be supported long term has to be made at the design stage. Early Naim products used common, off the shelf components which were widely used and made by multiple manufacturers which ensured long term availability. So the product looked a bit boring under the lid but twenty years later it could still be fixed. Linn didn't do this from the word go. For example bespoke switches on the LK1 which weren't very reliable and soon became unavailable.

Of course these days Naim is little better. I dare say there might be a few voices in the factory bemoaning the old days but the bean counters in charge do not care about the person who owns the product in two decades time. They only care about the person who makes them money and that is the person who buys the product new. It's all about impressing them.

I don't use TIDAL after the whole MQA affair. I use Quboz and the Sekrit streams HiRes with no issues
I specifically mentioned Tidal , so you have no idea.
Processing issue apparently yet I can play some hi-res files on Tidal while other guys couldn't and got buffering issue every few seconds , buffering on few Akurate players I know wasn't consistent - some got every few seconds some every 20 seconds on the same track and it wasn't an issue with broadband speed .

You’ve been moaning about the products being expensive. They are premium products, there are lots of alternatives.

You started off talking about a Kairn pre-amp?
I've been moaning? can you point me to where/when? you have completely lost it buddy

As you will see from my wanted ad in classifieds on this forum, l am always on the lookout for defunct circular ‘Brilliant’ power supply units (which I’ve nicknamed for years ‘the oven’ !)

Linn used them between early 1994 and the end of 1995 in Kairn, Karik, Numerik and Kremlin.

I’m working on ideas for a replacement, built from standard parts - albeit not at present on a commercial basis.

I know there must be loads of these units languishing around in bottom of drawers, or in what has become ‘doorstep’ kit!

It was certainly not Linn’s finest hour, the joke being it was marked on the top ‘music for life’.

The fact remains that the toroidal PSU that preceded in the LK kit will more often than not go on for years.

See also my other posts on this site about Kairn front panel repairs, where battery leakage destroys the PCB and sometimes certain components on it. Again fixable in some cases, but can be very time consuming and often not viable on commercial grounds. I can fully understand why Linn and certain well known repairers no longer want to know some of the kit from this era.

Both unfortunately, examples of ‘built in obsolescence’.

If any of you get the chance, dig out a copy of the book by Vince Packard, entitled ‘The Waste Makers’.
It is about consumerism in society, and although written way back in 1960, is more relevant in today’s society than ever before - particularly involving anything electronic or digital!

Really, what’s the title of this thread? Is it ‘Linn Bloody Linn’? Sounds incredibly moany to me. I believe you are being unrealistic, I fail to see how this means I’ve ‘lost it’. I’m not called Buddy either.
You definitely lost it , I haven't started this thread

advertisement

Back