advertisement

Linn Axis

Motor controller not regulating speed.
Whether Axis is running or not the board is live the whole time it is plugged in, therefore, yours could very well have been on continuously for 30+ years.

As Vic suggested above, a recap is in order.

Looking on the bright side, at least yours isn't blowing input fuses, which is indicative of more serious issues such as a fried bridge rectifier or output transistor(s).

I've .pdf copies of both the PCAS 011 schematic and BOM here that I can forward to you. With these, any competent electronics tech should have it working fine again.

There are service kits available from third parties which might save you some trouble, despite possibly having to order from the UK. These contain new replacements for all 13 caps, and often include a replacement input resistor for early models that haven't seen R1 replaced using 2 x varistors (i.e. the last circuit upgrade). If you'd prefer to go with the varistors, the BOM indicates what these are, and the schematic indicates where (basically, R1 is removed with a wire bridging the gap, then the varistors connect either side of the bridge rectifier. This is more of a reliability upgrade that makes the circuit less susceptible to voltage spikes, such as those occurring during lightening storms. If not having these in, best to have Axis plugged into a surge suppressor equipped power bar (preferably something with a power switch on such that Axis can be completely powered down when not in use).

advertisement

Back