advertisement

Linn Aktiv Isobarik Circuit Diagram?

david ellwood

Kirabosi Kognoscente
Just started putting the isobarik Aktiv circuit diagram into b2 spice and its a mammoth task so wondered if anyone else has already done this?

So any circuit diagrams out there already?

I've listened to both the Aktiv and the NAXO on my 'briks and prefer the latter. Any reason you're doing the Aktiv and not the NAXO as your starting point?

The naxo is a general purpose xover with pretty basic alignment

In the context of an all naim system I can see why you might prefer it

In my system there is no contest

The activ contains much the same psu arrangement as the superline

It has time alignment and response shaping particular to the isobariks

That said I have had fantastic results with both

Two weeks ago I had the possibility to hear the Isobariks for the first time. Powered by 6 x CB135s, NAXO, 52 and CDS.
Best musical experience ever, a dream !

Binnie, 'briks are biggest steal in used hi-fi that there is (IMHO). I've seen them going for the used price of the 4 B110s alone. Once they sing you their siren song, you're a goner.... I've now heard mine in many different configurations, and you don't have to wreck your budget over them. Just take them active. At present, I'm experimenting with a minimalist system: 2 x NAP140s + 1 x NAP180. All the NAPA boards have the usual mods. The 140 on tweeter duty has AVX FFBs + teflons for feedback caps. This much more modest system rivals the 3 NAP250s I had in before. Eventually, I'll be running 3 HackerNAPs, but slumming with the small amps feels pretty good. I've also heard spectacular sound with 3 single-ended stereo tube amps!

Thanks, David, I'll look forward to what you come up with – a DIY X-over looms on my horizon. The Aktiv I had in my system was a sad piece that suffered from cheap construction, and for the quality of sound coming out, seemed overly complex. If there are benefits to be had from a bespoke circuit, then I'd be willing to build one to a higher standard.

Just take them active. At present, I'm experimenting with a minimalist system: 2 x NAP140s + 1 x NAP180. All the NAPA boards have the usual mods. The 140 on tweeter duty has AVX FFBs + teflons for feedback caps. This much more modest system rivals the 3 NAP250s I had in before. .

If you can lay your hands on another amp, you can give each bass unit a separate amp circuit. This makes a really big difference.
I plan to eventually have a separate amp circuit for each driver (ie 6 stereo amps in total). As each amp circuit only sees a single speaker unit, they have very easy loads to drive and smaller amp circuits can be used.

Jim.

i have a pair of 280/sparks just driving the four b139s

these being the real current suckers.

it certainly made quite a difference.

I could definitely use more bass. The 180 is about to get an upgrade with 2 HackerCAP banks, but I'll work towards 2 amps. I've separated out all the drivers (so 12 speaker terminals on the back of each 'brik. A while back, I tried a NAP140 on each pair of tweeters and wasn't impressed that I could hear a difference over a single NAP140. Given your 2 recommendations, I need to try powering each B139 with its own amp channel. Do the channels have to be especially well matched since they'll be driving an isobarik pair?

More motivation to get those HackerNAPs built. :)

BTW, I've used MMKs for feedback caps in the 180 driving the woofers. The MMKs are much better for LFs, and the AVX FFBs are much better for HFs. I'd like to do similar tuning of the coupling caps in the active X-over.

Any chance of getting a copy of the Aktiv Crossover? I have an Aktiv with a crook channel.
Thanks
Mark

advertisement

Back