advertisement

Linn Akito versions

Furrowedbrow

pfm Member
Hi folks,

My parents have a decent system that includes a Linn Basik turntable and Linn Akito tonearm. It would seem the latter is potentially worth a decent amount of money. I can’t seem to find a way of identifying the version number of the arm as I can’t see any markings on the arm itself. I am guessing it’s from the mid-nineties. Can anyone help me to visually identify the version? Thank you.

If you can slide a small mirror under the anti-skating/arm rest platform you may be able to make out the serial number.

Akito was originally released in 1989, and both replaced Basik Plus on Axis and came with Basik Turntable.

Akito/2 ("Scottish built, better bearings, paint") came out in Dec 1994 and started at serial number 100,000. Another clue is that Akito/2 paint is more of a matte finish than that of the original arm.

There was also an Akito/2B, can't recall what the claimed improvements were with this, however, I do believe this variant came sometime after both Axis and Basik Turntable production had ended.

Also, according to Linn's Basik Turntable Information Sheet here, the deck was introduced in 1989 with production ending in 1996, so there may well have been a good number of Basik decks with Akito/2 on.

Linn Akito/2B:
h.jpg

Linn Akito/2B:
d.jpg

UPDATE: Apparently there was an Akito/3B as well, recently replaced by Arko. Most distinguishing visual features here are the revised bearing yoke and bearing block.

Linn Akito/3B:
i3-01159a37-3a10-4951-aa71-9e4733873b9a-1024x1024-2x.jpg

Last edited:
Akito 1 has a less textured paint finish and has black bearings:
897984-08a377d3-linn-akito-tonearm.jpg

Akito 2B has bronze coloured bearings. I don't know whether this is also true of the Akito 2, but as Craig says above, the bearing improvement came with the Akito 2, so I'd assume it is.
489368-a9560f70-linn_akito_iib_tone_arm.jpg

Yes, Akito 2 had the unpainted bronze bearing screws. I doubt that there is much difference here other than lack of black finish and possible potential for more precise adjustment that this might bring. Of course, the actual bearing races may have an improved specification and/or Linn took a bit more care in adjusting the screws when assembling these themselves (vs. original Akito being entirely mass produced in Japan).

I had forgotten about that "DESIGNED BY LINN PRODUCTS LTD" subtext, another original Akito clue. I also recall "Made in Japan" being printed as subtext round back of the arm mounting collar.

Another tell is that Akito 1 has a black finish cueing lever with black plastic 'handle', whereas Akito 2 and up have what appears to be the same stainless lever as Rega's (possibly anodized grey).

As to prices, this LP12 Bits page should give an idea of the relative used values of the various Akito versions.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back