advertisement

Linn Akito (Mk1) rebuild

paulski

pfm Member
I'm putting together a first record playing system for my elder daughter in anticipation of her having her own place and trying to keep the budget low but still sounding decent. I sourced a cheap Linn Axis that had a Mk1 Akito but, as expected, the bearings are not great. I decided to have a go at rebuilding it and, with this as a guide, set to pulling the thing apart. I don't know if anyone here is interested in the process. If they are I'll take some photos that might assist others before I reassemble it all as I've still got it in pieces waiting for some new wiring to arrive.

Yes I'm interested- I had no idea anyone but a pro had ever done an Akito bearing redo. You're very lucky to have found such a comprehensive tutorial. And that guy having the sense to deep-trawl the www & use the translate function too is impressive. Good luck, I'll be watching with interest.

Capt

Yes I'm interested- I had no idea anyone but a pro had ever done an Akito bearing redo. You're very lucky to have found such a comprehensive tutorial. And that guy having the sense to deep-trawl the www & use the translate function too is impressive. Good luck, I'll be watching with interest.

Capt
An audience of more than zero is enough to get me doing this. It may take a few days as I'm out with work for a bit.

An audience of more than zero is enough to get me doing this. It may take a few days as I'm out with work for a bit.
I've done this too, I cleaned and reused the old bearings, lubricated them with a spot of ptfe loaded lube and ended up with an arm that will swing over 100 times with the anti-skate disconnected.
The only difficult bit I found was fishing the arm wires through.
In case it helps, I pushed the looped wires up through the base and then used a bit of copper wire bent into a hook at one end to snag the the wires and drag them through the arm tube.

I'm interested - have one on a Thorens and it's notchy at end of side....

Sure the bearings need just a clean - but getting it apart is another matter..

Cheers

advertisement

Back