advertisement

Linear power supply recommendations

At 72W out and maybe 50% efficiency with high mains, you are at the upper limit of natural air flow heatsinking.

I found this R-core in similar price

I'm totally ignorant, but from pictures looking solid 😄

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
The audiophilia nervosa placebo self-fulfilling prophecy crowd has zoomed in on the wonders of optical and LPS. Of course no A-B testing.
I used a Teradak for my SBT, no real difference to write home about. Save your money and buy more good music instead.
Couldn't agree more - this is apparently all- about feeding a router, and a NAS - both of which are isolated from direct connection to an audio system by Wifi and or Ethernet - which is galvanically-isolated by design!

PS, if such a thing absolutely, must-be had: simply buy the kind of totally reliable, designed for rated use, adjustable linear ' linear 13.8v VDC' supply of the kind that 'Hams' use - a fraternity far-more worried about spurious noise, and way more knowledgeable - than audionuts - on how to control it/ Such as- oh this - picked out of nowhere with 30s of google - there are many, many , many equivalents out there:

8amp, adjustable linear supply rated for 70% duty cycle - i.e. 5.6A continuous. It'll give decades of tediously -stable service too - just no fancy name attached.

PS - while the router and NAS nameplate requirements add-up to 5A - I bet when running they actually draw 1/2 that , or even less. My pair running at about 12v/2.2A , measured...

Last edited:
SMPS are not automatically noisy - I have designed SMPS that pass the very strict MIL-STD tests. This has become another foo opportunity

Can you supply such an SMPS - or share your design with me?

For cost reasons, I experimented with powering a couple of devices that I supply, with several different SMPSs:
* a 12v head amp
* and a 24v phono stage.

In both cases, I got a horrible noise through the spkrs. 😮

So I have to continue to use Sboosters or SLAs.

Can you supply such an SMPS - or share your design with me?

For cost reasons, I experimented with powering a couple of devices that I supply, with several different SMPSs:
* a 12v head amp
* and a 24v phono stage.

In both cases, I got a horrible noise through the spkrs. 😮

So I have to continue to use Sboosters or SLAs.
The SOtM sPS-500 is a commercially available SMPS marketed for audio and is well-regarded. It's pretty expensive though (IMO).

I would second the Teradak recommendation - superior to the MCRU supplies in my experience/system, and well put together - some of the far eastern stuff available is bloody awful & occasionally dangerous.

Any benefits of better power supplies of whatever topology will obviously depend very much on application - certainly worth going to town for a DAC PS - rather less convinced when it comes to routers/NAS etc but I'll try anything once..

advertisement

Back