advertisement

Linear power supply recommendations

stecko

pfm Member
Hi Guys

I'm in half way to move from Redbook to streaming music. A the moment I'm testing connection fibre vs ethernet...

But I've read that lps would help improve sq. I would like to power my router and NAS drive via lps. So preferred lps with 2 dc outputs 12v 3A.( rather the 2 sperate lps with 2 power cables etc) Any suggestions? I'm on the budget. May stretch up to ~£450 for something decent.

Thnaks 😄

Keces P6 offers 2 outputs that will suit you, retails for around £600, better option is Plixir Elite, but with 2 outputs 12V/4A it’s up to £900.

Those prices are absurd for a competently designed linear supply.
SMPS are not automatically noisy - I have designed SMPS that pass the very strict MIL-STD tests. This has become another foo opportunity

I tried several cheaper ones but ended up with the SBooster for my bluesound node 2, worth every penny.
About £350 new but they do come up in the classifieds here..

Hi Guys

I'm in half way to move from Redbook to streaming music. A the moment I'm testing connection fibre vs ethernet...

But I've read that lps would help improve sq. I would like to power my router and NAS drive via lps. So preferred lps with 2 dc outputs 12v 3A.( rather the 2 sperate lps with 2 power cables etc) Any suggestions? I'm on the budget. May stretch up to ~£450 for something decent.

Thnaks 😄
I use the TeraDak on my Macmini, which outputs USB to my DAC. I chose R-core option single output. This replaced a Farad Super 3.
Dual output is available too:
https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-DC-200W-Dual-Output-LPS-Linear-power-supply
No affiliation with the seller, just a satisfied customer. They even made me a 240v version.

FWIW, I do also have the smaller TeraDak PSU, which I sometimes use on my networking gear, but I don't hear any effect of the PSU on the sound, especially since switching to WiFi.

What's the rest of the OPs system, is his room optimised, has he considered the interaction of his hifi with his room? Put simply is everything else in the chain the best that can be afforded before pissing away money on 'tweaks' which only present a difference because the listener is straining to hear where his money went.

I use the TeraDak on my Macmini, which outputs USB to my DAC. I chose R-core option single output. This replaced a Farad Super 3.
Dual output is available too:
https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-DC-200W-Dual-Output-LPS-Linear-power-supply
No affiliation with the seller, just a satisfied customer. They even made me a 240v version.

FWIW, I do also have the smaller TeraDak PSU, which I sometimes use on my networking gear, but I don't hear any effect of the PSU on the sound, especially since switching to WiFi.
Interesting...😄

What's the rest of the OPs system, is his room optimised, has he considered the interaction of his hifi with his room? Put simply is everything else in the chain the best that can be afforded before pissing away money on 'tweaks' which only present a difference because the listener is straining to hear where his money went.
Rest of system is decent( for me of course😄) Best what I could afford( karan ka i180mk2 /dyns contour 30 / all transparent audio cabling, lumin x1). Listening room is a ordinary living room. I found best position for speakers. Can't go any better.

If you necessarily need 2 then there’re quite limited number of options and almost all highlighted here, but beware that 2-output ps is a compromise really cause it instantly creates a loop between the devices and it typically doesn’t have 2 separate transformers. You can start with 2 IFI ps, one for 110 and another for 300, they will most probably be an improvement already and after that think about higher-end linear psu.

advertisement

Back