advertisement

Line Noise

Jrichard

pfm Member
I recently switch from a Naim system to a Teddy Pardo system, and while I'm pleased with the difference, I'm noticing line noise that I hadn't heard before. Most noticeable are the switches on and off of various devices (household) on the circuit. I suspect there are a number of remedies; what might be the most economically effective? Curious why this didn't appear with theNam system.

Thanks.

'most economically effective' may be a compromise you don't want to make as in my experience cheaper mains filters often degrade the sound quality.

Maybe barking up the wrong tree, but what about Naim's oversized transformers having something do do with it.
I used to have a Mission Cyrus Mk-1 & that picked up mains induction switching & popped quiet loudly. These had a little thing that must have been no more than 150VA, when I fitted the PSX the pops disappeared, the PSX had a much larger traffo & I assumed that was the reason for the pop problem.
Then came Audiolab 8000A with 8000PX & no pops, these have much larger traffos somewhere around 230VA in the A & close to 500VA in the PX. No pops sort of agreed with my traffo size theory.
Another later variant of the Cyrus amp got refitted temporally for a while & the pops came back.
Naim olive arrived with a series of pre/pwr combos & no pops, then Supernait & no pops with its 400VA traffo.
Only a theory.

You might find powering the hifi off a different mains circuit to the fridges will help. Otherwise you need to fit suppressors to the pop offenders switches

I got a sparky friend to install a separate spur for audio and it made a big difference and was probably a lot cheaper than any mains conditioner which can alter things ......

I got a sparky friend to install a separate spur for audio and it made a big difference and was probably a lot cheaper than any mains conditioner which can alter things ......

It's been covered elsewhere, but you might well mean separate ring, rather than spur? I didn't know the difference myself, but search and there are recent threads.

It's been covered elsewhere, but you might well mean separate ring, rather than spur? I didn't know the difference myself, but search and there are recent threads.

Whatever you like to call it spur or separate ring mains, it isolates your HiFi from mains borne interference ...thermostats etc :)

Ring - circuit that returns to the consumer unit (usual general purpose household circuit in UK) u

Spur = single cable branch off a ring sometimes used to add an extra powerpoint

Radial = single cable from consumer unit to load - in the UK usually for something like a cooker or electric shower, but can also be used to supply a separate dedicated socket for hifi. Each radial needs a separate way on the consumer unit to supply it.

Indeed - I meant separate radial :(

The point is that it may be important if you're having a discussion with a leccy - a separate spur doesn't isolates the ring it's branched from as far as I understand it.

What I think people mean when they say they they have a separate spur is indeed a separate radial - the terminolgoy got confused on HiFi forums years ago and has proliferated ever since.

advertisement

Back