advertisement

Linda McCartney photos

The Captain

~~~~~~~~~~
From this link I must say wasn't aware she was such a good snapper- but photography being the only medium I have trouble defining what is obviously 'great' as it were, it'd be interesting to read opinions from you photo nuts on here as to how good she was in your opinion..

(is it me or does Sir Paul look 35 yrs younger all of a sudden!)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7363605.stm

I like her stuff a lot - she was an excellent photographer and documented a lot of great artists at their peak, that is how she got to meet McCartney etc in the first place. She was however not a great musician!

Tony.

She was lucky to be a good photographer and to have access to the right people to take pictures of.

She was lucky to be a good photographer and to have access to the right people to take pictures of.

That's a rather crass comment. You don't become a good photographer by luck, and she had a career in photography before meeting McCartney.

Do you have any appreciation of Photography and what constitutes a good photograph?

I had thought maybe as her name was Eastman too.. but then assuming not, Imo & as a non-trained snapper's eye, one look at that John Lennon Pic & that P McC pic at he end (above) are enough to show me she had real talent. Whether this std was constantly there though is another thing..

Whether this std was constantly there though is another thing..

I've seen a fair number of her pics as good quality prints as there are a lot on permanent display at LIPA in Liverpool (a friend was a sound engineering lecturer there for a while) - they are very good pictures indeed, she really captured the late 60s music scene, great shots of Hendrix, Stones, Zappa, Jim Morrison etc. It's easy to think of her as sideline of McCartney Inc, but that's very unfair, she was a genuinely excellent photographer and I'd recommend anyone with an interest in 60s-70s music to see the exhibition.

Tony.

She was indeed a very good candid portrait photographer, and was pretty commercially successful at it before she became Mrs Macca.

-- Ian

A few other photos can be seen here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2008/04/22/balinda122.xml
and follow the link

lm2d.jpg

That's a rather crass comment. You don't become a good photographer by luck, and she had a career in photography before meeting McCartney.

Do you have any appreciation of Photography and what constitutes a good photograph?
Sorry you seem to have misconstrued what I said as a put down (and chosen to get stroppy with me in the process!).

I meant that she was lucky to have been blessed with being good at something.
And similarly she was lucky to have been in the right place at the right time.

Surely the two ingredients of success are ability and opportunity; she had both.
Lucky person!

There was no negative implication intended.

You see I can't tell whether Robert's example (pic above) is very good, or very bad.. to me the composition is awful, 3 subjects distant and 2 doing odd things.. but then this irregularity 'could mean' its "great" to a trained snapper; this is how photography flumoxes and annoys me at same time, & why, like Jazz it has Imo, just a handful of obvious complete natural masters only (JColtrane, MD & erm.. erm), and so I tend to avoid it in the most part.

Captain, the reviews seem to be particularly impressed with that photo'

One of the best photographs on display was taken during a family holiday in their cottage near the Mull of Kintyre in Scotland in 1982. Paul looks playfully relaxed in slippers and dressing gown, balancing on a rickety fence, while his son James leaps from the bonnet of a Land Rover and his daughter Stella sits in the foreground, absorbed in some private game.

It's a formally complex picture: Stella's hunched body visually echoes the sack and the standing stones on the left; James, generating maximum lift-off with his outstretched right leg, mirrors the dog in the background, its body also taut with energy; Paul balances the dark mass of the vehicle and the cottage. James's fearless jump recalls a well-known photograph from 1960 of the French artist Yves Klein leaping off the top of a wall.

Despite its rigour and compositional harmony, the picture wasn't staged. Like Cartier-Bresson, Linda was always searching for the "decisive moment", and here she managed to click the shutter at just the right time, creating an image that not only looks good, but captures her family's characters, too. It is easy to read Paul's balancing act as a metaphor for the difficulty of being a decent dad as well as one of the world's most famous men.

it's a good photo, but almost utterly destroyed by the chopping off of feet at the bottom where one's eyes keep drifting. if i'd taken it, it would be filed away under extremely frustrating near-misses and never shown to anyone (except for purposes of formal instruction).

vuk.

Captain, the reviews seem to be particularly impressed with that photo'

well I'm a dutchman then.. that really seals my frustration with photography! I really do give up now.. at least I am in agreement with Vuk though. Ironically, I used to work on 16mm & 35mm film cameras for years!

I vote we shelve the 'photo' room in favour of an (all-incompassing) 'Animals' room. Everyone likes an animal.

I went to see the exhibition yesterday. They were pretty good. Excellent printing quality and they certainly gave you a feel for the subject. Oh and it's free!

Charlie

advertisement

Back