advertisement

'Like' buttons

No likey the Likey.

This place stands out because of intelligent advice/chat/banter/disagreement. I wan't to know why someone agrees or not and with their own tilt(?) on the discussion (..what that pinko said). Have a poll for agree or not type stuff.

Jonathan, don't go we promise not to like you!

Another dislike for like here.

I value a few words or even a thumbs up as someone has made an effort to respond rather than a rather inane button press.

Please feel free to like this post as I want to be loved.

Not many of you are on Facebook are you??!!

To 'like' is a far simpler way to agree with the post, rather than quoting it and posting that you agree. It has helped on other forums, but the average age has been probably less than here on PFM. :p
I've been on Facebook, and Facebookisms creeping into other places scare the shit out of me.

I mean, I get that it's handy to be able to register approval with one click. That much is harmless. But anything that links the presentation of content to my or other's likes would be evil. I do not think there is anything like that here, of course. Just sayin.'

Come to think of it, I don't like the look of that quote button either, on multiple levels.

I like the button, for a couple of reasons :

i) sometimes I wish to register approval of a post, but I consider the practice of posting "+1" or "^this" or even worse quoting the OP wastful of time, electrons and photons.
ii) as I don't spend every waking hour online, and as the debates on here move so quickly, by the time I see a post, it can be several pages back and the debate has moved on considerably, so responding to it would be dragging the topic back.

I’ve had an idea for those who use ‘like’ buttons as a time-saving device. By this time I’m sure Siri, Alexa and Google know everything about you - why not simply ask them to like every post that fits your profile for you? You could do it with a voice command while you are making the tea or reading your bills. And you would save even more time by not having to bother reading the posts you are ‘liking’.

Later: The more I think about this, the more I believe it could work. Once you have spread the lerve with likes for a few days on various threads the algorithm can start to work out which other likers share the same views on a subject. Then, when it collates that information with who is being liked, it should get a pretty fair idea of which posts are going to appeal to you. Everything will work as long as no-one changes their views (pretty much a given on an internet forum.) All you have to is switch on Autolike (TM) and the rest will be done for you. No more time-wasting logging on or post-reading necessary!

i) sometimes I wish to register approval of a post, but I consider the practice of posting "+1" or "^this" or even worse quoting the OP wastful of time, electrons and photons.

But why bother anyway, unless you have something you want to add to the argument? What does it achieve? Solidarity? Ego massage?

Avatars, emoticons, etc are attempts to fill in some of the communication we loose online in comparison to a traditional discussion.
imsmc 90% of a real life natter is non-verbal. fwiw I have mixed feelings about 'em.
Isn't the like button to social media what crack cocaine is to brain candy?

They are all certainly confusions and distractions. I read your post, put my iPad down and found myself wondering how Prince Philip had any knowledge of crack cocaine. Let alone what imsmc means although he is even older than me and I don’t have a clue.

They can confuse and distract. But they can also fill in the gaps caused by the missing 90% of a face to face chat.
How often does a post with humorous intentions get misinterpreted here?
That's because the lil' fish rarely use a smilie. But one of them would remove most serious/funny ambiguity.

I know crack cocaine is very addictive, and can really mess up ones moves.
And, for the record, I'm an innocent country boy.

advertisement

Back