advertisement

Lifebuoy Corbolic Toilet Soap - Where is it?

There is surely a lot of variety available in bath soap but in my opinion, it is better that one should use only that soap which is made of natural ingredients. Our poor diet has made us sensitive and the chemicals of commonly available soap bar are dangerous for skin.

There is surely a lot of variety available in bath soap but in my opinion, it is better that one should use only that soap which is made of natural ingredients. Our poor diet has made us sensitive and the chemicals of commonly available soap bar are dangerous for skin.

Eat, drink, and be merry!

Forget all that "natural" nonsense. :)

There is surely a lot of variety but in my opinion, it is better that one should use only that soap which is made of natural ingredients. Our poor diet has made us sensitive and the chemicals of commonly available soap bar are dangerous for skin.
No soap is natural. The central chemistry is saponification of lipids, ie generation of salts (usually sodium salts) of fatty acids. This has to involve the use of caustic (alkaline) products. The source of the oils used is of no consequence to the saponification process.

Soap is for Neanderthals

Get yerself a bottle o' Body Wash with 1/4 moisturiser and use it vigorously with one o' them plastic netting body scrubber thingies. You'll be much better for it.

Anybody remember them 'orrible 'marbled' type soaps from the 70s? 'Zest' was one of 'em. Awful stuff. That was when I decided to stop burning my refined and sensitive skin with fat dissolved in caustic soda and use something a bit less dumb.

Mull

Try Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap. Excellent stuff, unless you're Vegan as it's tallow based.

Is it?

Not disagreeing, but I'd have thought 'wool fat' meant Lanolin, which is extracted from Sheep's Wool

Back when I was a Weaver, and later a Mechanic in a cotton mill, we used to treat chapped hands by going to the 'beaming' dept. There, they had sodding great drums of Lanolin, used to make the 'warp' more flexible. Rub a bit of that in and your hands were soon as smooth as a baby's proverbial.

OTOH, we used to use Tallow as a lubricant when I worked in a boiler making plant. The tallow was brushed onto hot sheet steel just before pressing it to make the 'dished ends' for small boilers, air receivers etc. Must've been beef tallow because the smell of a Sunday Roast was intoxicating.

Mull

No soap is natural. The central chemistry is saponification of lipids, ie generation of salts (usually sodium salts) of fatty acids. This has to involve the use of caustic (alkaline) products. The source of the oils used is of no consequence to the saponification process.

The voice of reason. :)

Mull

"I like scented soap
In my bath I frolic.
I like scented soap
The emergency room didn't believe me when I said I slipped and fell"

Lol.

Over here in the colonies we use this stuff

http://www.drbronner.co.uk/en/peppermint-liquid-soap

very nice it is too, but don't get it in your eyes or it stings like b*gg*ry. We switched to liquid soaps 10 or so years back after a visitor to the house with a bad boil led to several of us getting bad boils and the doc. said that nasty bacteria can live on soap that stays damp in the shower. No more sharing sponges or face cloths either.

Is it?

Not disagreeing, but I'd have thought 'wool fat' meant Lanolin, which is extracted from Sheep's Wool

Back when I was a Weaver, and later a Mechanic in a cotton mill, we used to treat chapped hands by going to the 'beaming' dept. There, they had sodding great drums of Lanolin, used to make the 'warp' more flexible. Rub a bit of that in and your hands were soon as smooth as a baby's proverbial.

OTOH, we used to use Tallow as a lubricant when I worked in a boiler making plant. The tallow was brushed onto hot sheet steel just before pressing it to make the 'dished ends' for small boilers, air receivers etc. Must've been beef tallow because the smell of a Sunday Roast was intoxicating.

Mull
I thought the same and looked it up. As you say tallow is defined as rendered body fat from sheep and cow meat. Yes, it's dripping. Lanolin is wool fat. The Mitchells product is a tallow soap with added lanolin so "wool fat" it is, it's just that that's not all it is.
I've heard of tallow in metalworking, it's surprising that a more modern alternative isn't out there. Perhaps it is now, of course.

advertisement

Back