advertisement

Life after Qobuz

Brocks

Don’t know if it’s just me and my music mojo been low but for the last few weeks I have been disappointed with the quality of Qubuz some mid bass treble distortion has been annoying me. In all fairness it’s more than likely me. So I have cancelled it last night after maybe a few too many beers. So I’m going to hook the cd player back up and start buying music again.

I do a bit of both but find myself leaning more and more towards streaming and local rips for convenience.

I would look elsewhere for the perceived sound degradation - Qobuz sounds at least as good as CD on my system, and the multitude of hi-res tracks available sound better.
Like I said it could be me but…I first noticed it on my very budget headphone rig. Then now have noticed its sort of there on the main system.

I'm finding my cds sound better than my qobuz hi res? Maybe hi res isnt as hi as we thought?
You know that’s what occurred to me. To my ears and like I keep saying it could well be me, but it’s like an upscale mp3 sort of distortion I’m hearing I know it’s not but it’s the best way I can explain it.

You know that’s what occurred to me. To my ears and like I keep saying it could well be me, but it’s like an upscale mp3 sort of distortion I’m hearing I know it’s not but it’s the best way I can explain it.
I have noticed this as well..I can change the streaming rates on my laptop and hi res sounds better than MP3 but my cd sounds better than hi res..most odd?

I listen to Qobuz a lot, it’s marginally worse than my CD and that is slightly worse than my vinyl. So, I enjoy lots, and stuff I really enjoy I buy on CD or SACD and stuff I really really like I buy on vinyl (if available).

Sounds to me people have dodgy streaming set ups, or PC issues, the other day I switched to streaming a HD version as my local rip was only from a CD.

when I switched from Tidal I thought Qobuz was better sounding, I had both for a while.

Given it's French, one of these:
steamer.jpg

I have also tried a MacBook Pro/Stack Link 2/2Qute. I am still to be convinced, yet hovering over expensive stuff like the Auralic G1.1.

I have a Naim NDS but I run Audirvana on a Mac Mini. I have ripped hundreds of CDs and at them moment I have subscribed to both Qobuz and Tidal. To my old (56) ears Qobuz sounds slightly better. I am not very good at describing sound but I would say it sounds fuller with a bit more bite and that Tidal is slightly lacking in the mid range.

advertisement

Back