advertisement

Let's have a mono thread

Here is an old thread where I (being not the OP) asked a few questions about mono and some interesting recommendations came about.

Since that time, I first purchased an Audio Technica AT33Mono with the LH15/OCC headshell, which was excellent. And still is, now a backup. Then moved on to the EMT TMD 015, which was purchased in an effort to match sonically my primary cartridge, the stereo version, EMT TSD MRB.

The EMT carries a spherical tip of 15 microns, which is ~0.6mil, meaning most suitable for post 1960 mono records. That suits me just fine, as most of the monos I have are modern jazz reissues of said vintage. To me, it made sense to acquire a mono cartridge once the portion of mono records in my collection exceeded 10% (it is now close to 15% or so).

I am using both cartridges on identical tonearms (SME 3012) so the only difference between the setups is the stylus tip (the mono obviously has a spherical tip and the stereo has something they call "multi-radius" which I presume is akin to "micro-ridge") and generator.

As to was it worth it... very much so.

BTW, one of the best sounding mono releases I currently have are the ones from "The Lost Recordings", formerly Devialet's record label.

Of course, I should have linked the old thread no? Apologies, here it is:

Interesting topic, if taken to its natural conclusion; environmentally sound, half the equipment, lower cost, taking up less space too.
Alternatively more money to spend on one better channel!

Perhaps Mono will be the next big thing in greener audio? :0)

Potentially daft question, but, having just bought the RSD Bill Evans mono vinyl, do I need a mono cart to be able to play it? (mono virgin here)

Of course, I should have linked the old thread no? Apologies, here it is:

I should have remembered this past thread myself especially as I posted in it more than once. Good job I said virtually the same as I said before 😉

I have had a chance to have a fuller look at both the Michael 45 video’s posted above now. I quite like Michael‘s reviews, but perhaps a bit less now that he is into collectors ‘originals’ being better than any other version and now has a sight selling records. Some of what he said does not make sense to me? He claims that the Beatles mono originals Rubber Soul (1965), Revolver (1966) and St. Pepper (1967) are true monos (mono cutting head) and sound much better with a true mono cartridge, i.e. no verticals compliance. The first Beatles record, ‘With The Beatles’ came out in 1963. Rubber Soul was their 10th release including compilations. By 1964 Abbey Road were using the Westrex 3D cutting head (a stereo head) before switching to a Neumann lathe with SX- 74 cutting head shortly after.

I note that he considers he thinks that true monos played with stereo cartridges sound softer and flatter and they may not be worthwhile than played with a true mono cartridge. Einstein seems much more cautious. I do also note that he considers this may just be true of his system. This is certainly not the case in my system where they have excellent detail and depth to the sound stage.

I have an original Mono St. Pepper so when I get a chance I will make the comparison with this record.

For what it's worth, I find the Ortofon SPU Mono G MkII is a good all rounder for those who don't want to go too far down the mono rabbit hole. It's got a 1.0mil stylus and vertical compliance so is quite happy playing all generations of mono records. It also sounds spectacular with jazz.

I have had a chance to have a fuller look at both the Michael 45 video’s posted above now. I quite like Michael‘s reviews, but perhaps a bit less now that he is into collectors ‘originals’ being better than any other version and now has a sight selling records. Some of what he said does not make sense to me?

I do not have the technical knowledge in mono to fully ascertain whether his statements make full sense, but I have become wary of his positions some time ago, as he seems to be hopping on the FOTM (flavor of the month) bandwagon. First it was the excellent reissues, then it was first presses and "the problems with Discogs", now it is mono according to Einstein Audio. I trust he is a very passionate guy, and I applaud his efforts, but as always, take whatever he (or others in our hobby) says. (*)

(*) That obviously includes me as well.

For what it's worth, I find the Ortofon SPU Mono G MkII is a good all rounder for those who don't want to go too far down the mono rabbit hole. It's got a 1.0mil stylus and vertical compliance so is quite happy playing all generations of mono records. It also sounds spectacular with jazz.

I am still itching to get that one again at some point (had it for an extended session). The SPUs I've had have been faulty in many ways, but there is a side to them that makes one forget about most of those faults.

Sort of like the DL-103, except it is 5x more. :) Still baffles me how substantial Ortofon price hikes lately have been.

Not in a rush since the AT33Mono is almost as good, and the EMT TMD 015 is better. But still.

I've succeeded in buying a new Rega mount 2MR mono, since nobody wanted to buy my lovely P3/RB600, so we'll see where that leads. If nothing else it will allow me to buy older records with a bit more confidence and not wear the XX2 unduly when the inevitable bad one (near mint etc etc) arrives from Discogs...

I've put half a dozen hours on the Ortofon now. I hesitate to say a cheap cartridge at £350 but there's a premium for these low number products. I don't really have anything comparable to judge it aganist. It's got a fairly warm balance, punchy, swweeeeeeet midrange. I guess that's what these mid-50s to early 60s records were all about. Ella is just fantastic, so too Louis ;)
This is one of the best sounding old records I have and it sounds completely fabulous! The trumpet just couldn't be anyone else!

NC02NTUyLmpwZWc.jpeg

The same is true of this 70s reissue...

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

and this. The strings are a little harsh but it might be playing in still. I'll check the setup when it's done a few more hours...

MS00Mzk0LmpwZWc.jpeg

I've also played a recent copy of Coltrane - My Favorite Things and I'd say the Ortofon brings the same strengths to the party...

Last edited:
I've taken a couple of needle drops and the Ortofon is giving a touch more DR too. However, I don't hear a great deal of difference between the stereo tracks mixed down to mono (a pseudo mono button if you like) against the true mono recording...

If you like "Hello Dolly" by Satchmo you have to pick his 1956 Chicago concert.

Furthermore I like Sinatras "Love is a kick" and Doris Day "Greatest Hits!

If you like classical music too, there are many Decca and Mercury mono records which have unbelievable sound quality.
I just purchased an AT33 Mono for my SME3012 / Garrard 401 combo an be flashed by it.
Also in stock are Denon 102 and AT3 LP.
Have fun.

If you like "Hello Dolly" by Satchmo you have to pick his 1956 Chicago concert.

Furthermore I like Sinatras "Love is a kick" and Doris Day "Greatest Hits!

If you like classical music too, there are many Decca and Mercury mono records which have unbelievable sound quality.
I just purchased an AT33 Mono for my SME3012 / Garrard 401 combo an be flashed by it.
Also in stock are Denon 102 and AT3 LP.
Have fun.
Thanks. I have the Chicago concert, but only on CD. I'll pick these sorts of records up as carton fillers re postage if I'm buying something else and the dealer has something that happens to takes my fancy.

advertisement

Back