advertisement

Let’s hear it for Rega gear

monya

pfm Member
I’ve sold my quite decent 2 channel now with the darTZeel last to go and just left with the Magicos.
But Mrs Monya wants to play her old records and having dared not touch my old system I wanted to put something together for her.
So in came a Planar 6 with Ania pro cartridge and the Aethos amp which I reckoned would drive the Magicos ok. And it does. And to be honest the system sounds very decent. Made in Uk, lifetime warranty bar misuse so no complaints. No need to faff around any more. Those days are behind me. There may be better out there for similar dosh but this is easy peasy so wins the day. My ears couldn’t tell the difference anyway…

I kind-of sympathise with their detractors here, because it's not that easy to find anyting negative to say about them.

As a company, the past 20 years or so have been a huge change in their fortunes, from a relatively small firm making budget turntables (with an occasional amp or speaker) to one which very rarely puts a foot wrong in anything they make. The decks, the digital, the amps (Bateman), the speakers are all just really good at their price points, or in some cases significantly above those points. I do think a lot of their products (going back to the ELA) have a quite specific tonal quality of midband transparency.

Their design principles around turntables are quite unique, and represent some of the only concerted original thinking for many years.

On a commercial basis, I also admire the fact that they support many other British engineering companies through design and subcontracting work.

And on top of all this, they are one of the very few British manufacturers who continue to take the budget sector seriously, through products like the Ecodeck or the Io.

Last edited:
On my ignore list for a week or two until all the fans have chimed in. I have nothing against the brand, or the OP. Its just so repetitive and dull.

I think Rega are easily the best Hi-Fi manufacturer in the UK and one of the best in the world. I don't love all of their products but you can't argue with the astonishing level of innovation, value and dedication to service and quality. They operate like a small, friendly company who just happen to be quite big. Brilliant.

I had a Rega Planar 2 TT that looked great. Even my wife loved it. Could never get the speed issues sorted out with the dangly motor mount.

Their current range is way better than the older stuff.
I have latest P3-50th and P2, plus Elex Mk4.

Regs produce some great gear however the only way of interacting with the service department if you need advice, a service or parts us through an authorised dealer.

Regs produce some great gear however the only way of interacting with the service department if you need advice, a service or parts us through an authorised dealer.
Sort of. You're supposed to do that I've called the factory a few times.

The lifetime warranty is a really nice touch. I will always consider a Rega product when looking for new kit, assuming there is something in their product range that fits the bill. The products are typically good performing in there price range and good service too, what's not to like.

My 10 year old Mk1 Aria phono stage developed a fault last year and it got repaired free of charge which was great as I could not have afforded to replace it with something at the same level of performance at that point in time.

advertisement

Back