advertisement

Leonard Cohen - Popular Problems

Cant wait! Hes one of the few artists who warrant an instant purchase on release.

"I'd Love to speak with Leonard, he's a sportsman and a shepherd, he's a lazy bastard living in a suit"

Absolutely, I've just preordered mine, along with a Sharon Robinson album I didn't know about. That's the power of Amazon marketing for you!

The track 'Almost Like The Blues' is on Spotify already and sounds right up there with the best of his later stuff. Well f*ck me its on the 'Tube as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I found it accidentally on the Tube, Googled the song and then found out about the album release. It was news to me.

One of the very few artists I am there for on launch day. A nice cup of tea, a comfy sofa and the Grados plugged in. I like to remain sober for the extra special first listen :)

I hope you are enjoying your copy. I feel Leonard gets better the older he gets. I loved him even more since Dear Heather. Live in London is also a stunning piece of work that gets regular play here.

Popular Problems is cracking album that has all the hallmarks of music that will keep growing on me. That is the mark of a true artist.

It's been on 1st listen NPR the last few days, presume it still is, also on there is a new double album from Lucinda Williams

One of the very few artists I am there for on launch day. A nice cup of tea, a comfy sofa and the Grados plugged in. I like to remain sober for the extra special first listen :)

I hope you are enjoying your copy. I feel Leonard gets better the older he gets. I loved him even more since Dear Heather. Live in London is also a stunning piece of work that gets regular play here.

Popular Problems is cracking album that has all the hallmarks of music that will keep growing on me. That is the mark of a true artist.

Yes - completely agree. Mine arrived yesterday and I've played it a couple of times now. Slow, Almost got the Blues and Nevermind are the standout tracks for me so far.

The Live in London DVD is worth buying too, just a shame it's shot 4:3 format.

Dear Heather is a gem.

Despite previous bad experiences, I decided to give HDtracks one more go, and purchased Popular Problems in 96/24.

First thing I discovered was that the current version of their download manager doesn't work under wine on Linux - and the only error message it gives is "password incorrect". Oh well, sorted that out with their customer support.

The music itself is pretty good, but the format is a bit of a disappointment. Looking at spectrum plots, it seems that the actual music is band-limited to 24 kHz and has a 16-bit-equivalent noise floor, thus providing no added "resolution" over 48/16.

The sleeve notes state "analog mastering captured to 96/24", but it seems the analog mastering is probably based on a 48/16 recording.

Al2xbKr.png

Lenny's new one is now on Spotify at CD quality. Who could ask for anything more when its free at point of listening? And you can also get at least another 50 great brand new albums for nought as well. There must be a catch!

Featured on Radio Scotland (BBC) Get It On prog tonight. The theme was "comebacks". An outstanding track on an excellent playlist. A credit to successful ageing.

Just had a listen and its fookin' great. Right up there with the later albums by B Dylan and J Cash.

advertisement

Back