advertisement

Lens for a Leica M-E (240)

If money is tight, then don't forget the 40/2 sense made for the Leica CL and its Minolta CLE clone (great camera with TTL metering in the late 70s - way ahead of Leica at that time). The Leica 40/2 Summicron and the Minolta 40/2 Rokkor M lens are almost identical in performance and size (ie tiny and no bigger than an older 35/2 sum micron or 1.4 summilux.

The 50 Summicron is a great lens. The current V5 is identical optically to the previous V4 version, which has a focus tab and detachable hood.

I'm going to go to the Leica Store in Manchester on Friday I think. Looks like they have a a couple a 50mm Summicons plus the Zeiss 35mm Biogon and 50mm Sonnar which looks like an interesting lens.

I use an M10 and a Q2, plus my Leica III and my son uses M6.

I've used the Zeiss 50/2 and 35/2, but in use I just prefer the Leica 35/2 ASPH. The Zeiss really are great value.

My son uses the Zeiss 50/2 on his M6, has the Voightlander 35/2.5 Skopar and has recently bought the 35/2 Ultron.
https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2019/05/04/the-voigtlander-35-f-2-ultron-review-vintage-perfection/

Leica is all about the lenses, so if you can stretch to a used 35/2 ASPH, do so, otherwise Zeiss 35/2 Biogon.

What are your son's thoughts on the 35mm Ultron? There is one on eBay at the moment.

I owned a Leica M9 a few years ago and ever since regretted selling it and the three lenses I had.

I'm (gulp) 50 this year and wanted to get something a bit special for my Birthday. I have just ordered a Leica M-E (240) and looking for a lens to go with it.

My favourite focal length was always 35mm - was a goldilocks lens for me. Not too long, not too short. I could just leave it on the camera and for most instances it did the job.

I cannot stretch really to any of the Leica 35mm's and so looking for a compromise for the short to medium term.

Any thoughts on the offerings from Zeiss and Voigtlander or am I doing myself and the camera a disservice and simply pick up an older Leica 35mm?

Any thoughts welcome please.

Was just on the phone with my Leica/Zeiss/Voightlander dealer (buying another lens - LEICA VARIO-ELMAR-R 80-200 mm f/4) and if money is an issue you just can't go wrong with the Zeiss 35/2 Biogon. Optically you're splitting hairs with the Leica and some prefer the Zeiss.

I would not go for the 50 Sonnar or Ultron. Both are very old designs, the Sonnar excels for portraiture (f/1.5 more for DoF than speed) rather than being an all-rounder and the Ultron is only for use with film and is not modern ultra-sharp, but has old style warmth, is very small, pretty and apparently a joy to use.

Picked up a second-hand (but was in fact unused) Zeiss 35/2 Biogon from the Leica store in Manchester. Was a reasonable price and came with the hood.

Put it on the camera and only taking a few photo's around the house annoying my daughter it would seem to be a superb lens.

Weird thing happened though in that after an hour or so of using the camera it decided to reset all the settings by itself. Something to keep an eye on I guess.

I’ve had that with other cameras when they’ve not been used for a long while. I’ve always assumed it’s because there’s a small internal battery that ‘powers’ the chip that holds the settings. As you say, something to keep an eye on.

i used to have leica 35 and 50 summicrons pre aspherical on a m6. Fabulous lens. Voiglander lens are OK but the bokeh is quite bad and the overall picture is not so nice. I have 2 zeiss (50 f1.4 and 85 f1.4) on my canon dslr. They produce very nice pictures but the skin colours are not as warm.

Because of the awful weather I have only been able to take a few photos around the house with the M-E and Zeiss lens annoying the hell out of my wife and daughter.

So far I have been extremely impressed with the overall output. Although I am using a non-Leica lens the results a still beautifully sharp with great colours even if they are a little cooler than Leica.

So far so good - cannot wait to go out and really put the camera/lens through their paces.

advertisement

Back