advertisement

Leica re-releasing the M6

If you don’t care about metering then a recently CLA’d M3 would work well. A classic combo that you can use and sell later for little or no loss.

I would also consider the M4, perhaps not as "classic" as the M3 but just as useable, and with a proper film winder. From what I can tell, M3 and M4 prices are at near parity.

Was it the M4 or M4-2 that introduced plastic gears? An concerns over longevity? These cameras are getting on a big now.

No company other than Leica could pull off reissuing a film camera in 2022 that they know will sell. Well, maybe Nikon could since they've brought back classics previously, as could Voigtländer since they cater to traditional and niche markets.

But I have to wonder with so few people shooting film today, and the sheer gazillions of excellent film cameras produced over decades past, that there's a market among photographers for a $5,295 US reissued classic. My spider sense tells me that most of these new Leica M6s will be bought by wealthy collectors because that's what they do. If you're a photographer — enthusiast or pro — why wouldn't you grab a nice used Leica and save some cabbage.

Joe

It seems the number of people using film is increasing, so perhaps 5,000 for a mechanical classic that should last forever does not seem that absurd compared to a digital camera costing, say, 2500 that is made of plastic and has a limited lifespan.
It will, indeed, be interesting to see how it sells. But certainly a good part of the sales will be to collectors or people who use it as a fashion accessory.

Was it the M4 or M4-2 that introduced plastic gears? An concerns over longevity? These cameras are getting on a big now.

I have never heard of any M camera using plastic gears. The Wetzlar cameras (3/2/1/4/5) all had brass gears.
From the M4-2 onwards steel gears were used to support motor winder use. The steel gears are known for being more durable, but they don’t quite have the silky smooth feeling of the earlier cameras.

The only plastic added was on the tip of the film advance lever.

I would not hesitate to get an M4-2 or M4-P these are basically the same camera as an M6 but without the meter (for about half the price).

Just being pedantic about the Nikon F:) I have one but it needs service so not in active use. I have a freshly serviced F2, an F3 and a non-working F4. The F4 could come in handy as an anchor if I get a boat...

I used my F4 as a doorstop until I tripped over the bastard and broke my toe. I've reverted to using it as a camera, but the hoist, block and tackle required to get the thing around my neck is sometimes a bit inconvenient.

I've had an M3 and M4. If you like 35mm then the M4 or 2 would be my choice as I'm not a fan of the goggles to bend the 50mm viewfinder into 35mm. I'd also say a lot of people disregard the 50mm Elmar, it's a very good lense super sharp from f4, and not shabby at 2.8. But collapsed on an M3 it makes a really nice pocketable setup. I bought one as I wanted the collapsible 90mm and someone was selling a nice one with the 50 and wouldn't split, turns out it was a really nice lense. After selling up then later getting an M4 I bought another, so dont disregard it as Leica's cheap or poor lense.

Perhaps I should load up my Pentax SL. One eminent dealer proclaimed that the "Spotmatic" is the finest example of 35mm engineering. The SL is a Spotmatic without its spots (meter). Handles like a dream.

I've had an M3 and M4. If you like 35mm then the M4 or 2 would be my choice as I'm not a fan of the goggles to bend the 50mm viewfinder into 35mm. I'd also say a lot of people disregard the 50mm Elmar, it's a very good lense super sharp from f4, and not shabby at 2.8. But collapsed on an M3 it makes a really nice pocketable setup. I bought one as I wanted the collapsible 90mm and someone was selling a nice one with the 50 and wouldn't split, turns out it was a really nice lense. After selling up then later getting an M4 I bought another, so dont disregard it as Leica's cheap or poor lense.
Agree 100% on everything you say.
My offensive remarks about the Elmar, up-thread, were due to the fact that my own experience was with a pre-war, uncoated, and a bit scratched up, 3.5 Elmar on a Leica IIIa. I'm sure you are right that a post-war, coated, 2.8, un-scratched example would be fine.

Perhaps I should load up my Pentax SL. One eminent dealer proclaimed that the "Spotmatic" is the finest example of 35mm engineering. The SL is a Spotmatic without its spots (meter). Handles like a dream.

I've just done exactly that with my first camera, a Pentax ES (Electronic Spotmatic) that my late grandfather gave to me in the 1970s. It served me exceptionally well back then, but of course I had youthful GAS, which took me to an OM2 Spot/Programme (which I didn't get on with), and then a Nikon F3, of which I now have a stable, as well as one each of F4 and F5. I've also got a couple of OM2s, which I actually adore. I'd love a Leica, but I not even looking, as I know I simply can't afford to get onto that slippery slope.

My first film camera was a pentax spotmatic F with the 50mm f1.4, and yes, a really basic but superb combo. I later replaced it with an MX which I found too small and uncomfortable. The spot was a superb camera in many ways.

Seen from today, it is wonderful how well built this stuff was. The 1939 vintage Leica III my aunt gave me I sold to a friend about 30 years ago. He still uses it, occasionally, and it works! My wife had a Canon AE1, probably early '80s. The other day I ran into it in a box of old stuff. Out of curiosity, I bought a battery for it and it works, perfectly, meter and all! The first is 80 years old, the second 40. Neither has ever been repaired.

advertisement

Back