advertisement

Leica re-releasing the M6

dan m

pfm Member
$5300- is quite the investment in a 35mm film camera body. Still, I did enjoy using the slightly later M6ttl when I had it. I wonder which way the shutter speed dial rotates.

That's good news! Today's 5300 is probably close to the price of the original Ms in the 50s and 60s. I wonder if it will be equally "built-like-a-tank."

If it is a success I expect Nikon will re-issue an F1 and Rolleiflex a TLR. I know that Kaiser is now making an enlarger.

If it is a success I expect Nikon will re-issue an F1 and Rolleiflex a TLR. I know that Kaiser is now making an enlarger.

I don’t think it will be success in terms of large sales volumes. These cameras are very much niche products made in small volumes. Leica have never stopped making M film cameras.

Nikon did do a reissue of the S3 in 2000 and the SP in 2005, so perhaps they will have another go. They never made an F1 by the way, that was Canon. Rolleiflex have gone bust.

The new M6 styling is based on the very first M6 that was still made by Leitz Camera in Wetzlar. This had ‘Leitz’ on the red dot, and white ‘Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Germany’ text on the top plate which is a bit ugly in my opinion. This early model is sought after by collectors but had a bad reputation for zinc corrosion causing bubbling under the chrome finish. The new model has a brass top plate so this won’t be a problem.

The new camera has the same classic shutter speed dial and rotation direction used on all of the mechanical M’s except the M6TTL. I had a M6TTL and now have an M6 classic. I far prefer the classic shutter dial. It is milled from one piece compared to the cheap feeling dial on the TTL.

@andrewd I understand wanting to faithfully recreate the original but I think having to switch dial directions going from film to digital bodies would be a PITA. That's for the photographer that has fully invested in Leica M lenses and bodies. The beauty of the M is that after a while exposure adjustments become second nature. You are often rotating the dial as you pull the camera to your eye.

BTW, my M6 TTL was the black paint LHSA version with a brass top plate and script logo. A lovely thing to hold and use.

I can see your point if using both film and digital bodies. I think Leica is targeting the collector/nostalgic customers who like things to be as close to the original model as possible.

I tried the M9 but didn’t like it so sold it on. I understand that the M10 is much better.

I don’t think it will be success in terms of large sales volumes. These cameras are very much niche products made in small volumes. Leica have never stopped making M film cameras.

Nikon did do a reissue of the S3 in 2000 and the SP in 2005, so perhaps they will have another go. They never made an F1 by the way, that was Canon. Rolleiflex have gone bust.

I had no idea Leitz were still making a film camera!
What I've noticed is that there seem to be more people using film than a few years ago. The big photo shop in Rome, which five years ago had practically no "analogue" materials left, has now opened a big section selling paper, developers, film, etc. of many different brands. This summer I saw lots of young people with film SLRs round their necks. So, since the number of functioning or repairable old cameras is finite, it makes sense that new ones will sell. At least I hope so. Yes, there was no Nikon F1, it was called just F, and was followed by the F2. Both really great cameras (I had them) and much better than what followed.

Just being pedantic about the Nikon F:) I have one but it needs service so not in active use. I have a freshly serviced F2, an F3 and a non-working F4. The F4 could come in handy as an anchor if I get a boat.

At least the Nikon naming system is a bit less confusing than Canon. They made three different cameras that were all called the F1! I have the ‘New F1’ which is awesome, but sadly recently froze up so is on the list to be serviced.

At least the Nikon naming system is a bit less confusing than Canon. They made three different cameras that were all called the F1! I have the ‘New F1’ which is awesome, but sadly recently froze up so is on the list to be serviced.
Yes, there was the F-1, the F-1n, & the New F-1. A friend had the latter & it was a really lovely camera.

Canon continued the nomenclature with the EOS 1 & 1D & their myriad incarnations.

I think Leica is targeting the collector/nostalgic customers who like things to be as close to the original model as possible.

On the contrary, I think Leica is targeting this to the new wave of film photographers. 18-40 years old, they learn from youtube influencers, they buy a lot of film and scan it, they publish it and discuss it on instagram. These people are not afraid of spending good money on a solid product that lasts. I'm in this age group, and have many friends with Leicas, Mamiya RB67/RZ67, Rolleiflex 3.5F/2.8F, Pentax 67. The Leica is expensive but it will sell. I mean our dads and granddads were spending similar sums on Accuphase amps, USA Fender Stratocasters and Rolexes so I think this will sell to young photographers with a regular income. Status symbol? For some, perhaps.

It's not a coincidence that Leica is doing youtube marketing for the camera via Joe Greer, a popular (deservedly or not? I won't comment) youtube film photography 'influencer'.

Yes good points, but I think they made a conscious effort not to deviate from the classic design, as this is deservedly one of the key attractions of the brand.

It is the same as Rolex not constantly changing the design of the submariner or datejust. Hence we get the same shutter dial that turns the way it always did, and not something reversed to cater to those who also use the digital M’s.

There is certainly a return to what they call "analogue" photography, both outside and inside the darkroom. If it last or not, increases or decreases remains to be seen. What I can say is that I have "analogue" prints of my great-grandparents from around 1890, which are perfectly preserved after living, forgotten, in an old suitcase in a cupboard. I doubt that all the billions of cellphone and digital camera being taken every day, including new-born babies, birthdays, weddings, etc., will similarly survive.

A quick look at eBay suggests you can get a mint boxed M6 for around £2.5-3k (e.g. here in Japan), and there is no shortage of them. It will be interesting to see how many will actually pay twice that for a new one. A brave decision, though we are into Veblen goods territory of £10k TD-124s, £30k SME 301s etc here, so who knows? It is clear film, like vinyl and even cassette, has found its niche in a digital world though. I approve!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A quick look at eBay suggests you can get a mint boxed M6 for around £2.5-3k (e.g. here in Japan), and there is no shortage of them. It will be interesting to see how many will actually pay twice that for a new one. A brave decision, though we are into Veblen goods territory of £10k TD-124s, £30k SME 301s etc here, so who knows? It is clear film, like vinyl and even cassette, has found its niche in a digital world though. I approve!

Tony, big fan of minty Japan-Ebay camera purchases, but this one here looks to be pretty battered tbh..Not Sure I'd drop 2.7K Pounds on it plus likely ~30% VAT+customs..

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Sorry, just picked it as a description/price example, didn’t look at the pics. I assume camera grading is just as variable as vinyl! I’ve certainly seen vintage Nikons described as “near mint” with obvious brassing which just seems wrong to me. I’d forgotten the customs absurdity too.

I wonder how similar the new one is, e.g. have they just dusted off the old tooling and started production again, or is it a whole new camera?

I bought my first M6TTL brand new in 2003. At this time they were actually discounting them because film cameras were on the way out. It would of been about £2k which was a lot of money for me back then. It was so nice I was a bit hesitant to take it out and inflict some wear and tear:).

I ended up trading it in for a Nikon D3. The trade in value was pretty much what I paid for it, but of course the value of the D3 depreciated to almost nothing by the time I got rid of it.

Along the way I bought a moderately used M6 for around £800. This one shows some subtle ‘zincing’ on the edges which looks cool. Because it is not mint and not worth a fortune (until recently) I don’t feel so cautious taking it out, however it does go in a leather half case for protection.

advertisement

Back