advertisement

Leica M10R camera - Any Users Experiences ?

Yank,

I don't know the new Hasselblad line well, but I think the X System is mirrorless, the H System is a reflex design, and the V System is mirrorless unless you put the digital back bits (50C) on a V-series film camera.

• • • • •

Ah, man, Hasselblad saw me coming when they made this video. The only think missing is a Trek reference and maybe a Kanutu woman or something.

But I can't believe the beardy bloke left his funky studio with a record still playing. Amateur! Nice rug, though. It really ties the room together.

Joe
I like the way the crackle starts before the needle hits the record.

Pete

Indeed. My nose is slightly flattened after years of looking through viewfinders on the left side of camera

I was always bugged by the ones that make you pull out the winding lever to turn on the meter. Good for a poke in the right eye.

Let me rephrase then - my last hands-on experience with a Hasselblad was in the 1970s, and at that time when you pressed the shutter, the viewfinder went dark until you advanced the film, then the mirror would return. Just like a '50s Exakta. Did this ever change, during the film era?

The 500 series cameras have auto-return mirrors. The mechanism is interestingly linked to the shutter button, so releasing the shutter button returns the mirror. This leads to some fun errors when taking long exposures since the mirror can return before the exposure has finished if you stab the shutter button. The feature you are referring to was caused by the leaf shutter in the lens which is closed after the lens has been fired, and is not opened again until you wind on. This is true of all cameras with leaf shutters, from large format through to the Leica.

The 2000 series film cameras can use leaf and focal plane shutter lenses. If you use a leaf shutter lens on a 2000 series camera, then the behaviour is the same as the 500 series. If however you put a focal plane shutter lens on it (ones designated 'F' for focal plane shutter) then you do get to see what's going on in the world after the mirror resets, since there is no leaf shutter blocking the light. Also, when operating in this mode, the 2000 series knows how long the exposure is, so the mirror stays up for long shots, so no problems with truncated exposures.

With some of these cameras, the 2000FC for example, you can disable the mirror down after exposure thing, I presume for people who had got used to the viewfinder staying dark, so it behaves more like a 500. This is probably for photographers who don't like to wind on after taking a shot, as the dark viewfinder is a handy reminder that the camera shutter has not been cocked.

The 2000 series was introduced in 1977 I believe, so yes, 'modern' hasselblads do have this problem resolved if you have the right lens.

I've also been looking at the modern digital back for my hasselblads. I was even considering having a bit of a camera sell off to fund one as i've got a few (cough) spare cameras which don't get used much, and it would probably make sense to be a little more realistic about what i'm likely to ever use again. I also turned 50 this year, and this back has 50mp, so it's obviously fate that I buy one.

I've also been looking at the modern digital back for my hasselblads. I was even considering having a bit of a camera sell off to fund one as i've got a few (cough) spare cameras which don't get used much, and it would probably make sense to be a little more realistic about what i'm likely to ever use again. I also turned 50 this year, and this back has 50mp, so it's obviously fate that I buy one.

Hasselblad CV II 50C
This is the same sensor as in the GFX which is whole load smaller than 6x6, if used on an existing system won't there be a significant crop factor on the lenses??

Hasselblad CV II 50C
This is the same sensor as in the GFX which is whole load smaller than 6x6, if used on an existing system won't there be a significant crop factor on the lenses??

Yes, it's not 6*6, it's more a cropped 645 but I think enjoyable none the less. I wasn't sure if there were focus screens with guide lines available for a reasonable price. Hopefully, but I was planning on getting to a retailer with a Hasselblad or two, and deciding if it's going to work for me.

Yes, it's not 6*6, it's more a cropped 645 but I think enjoyable none the less. I wasn't sure if there were focus screens with guide lines available for a reasonable price. Hopefully, but I was planning on getting to a retailer with a Hasselblad or two, and deciding if it's going to work for me.

OK

I can tell you that the sensor is amazing, from my short time with the GFX50S, the dynamic range and tonality are special (for a digital sensor). I've only bought two lenses (so far) GF30mm and GF45mm, but I am mainly a 24-35mm shooter, so these cover what I want to shoot.

OK

I can tell you that the sensor is amazing, from my short time with the GFX50S, the dynamic range and tonality are special (for a digital sensor). I've only bought two lenses (so far) GF30mm and GF45mm, but I am mainly a 24-35mm shooter, so these cover what I want to shoot.

Yeah, sounds like you've got a good setup there. I think the 50S is the other way to go for me, and i've got a local(ish) shop that offers both. I was planning on going and trying post lockdown restriction easing, so it's been pushed back a bit, but we'll see.

Yeah, sounds like you've got a good setup there. I think the 50S is the other way to go for me, and i've got a local(ish) shop that offers both. I was planning on going and trying post lockdown restriction easing, so it's been pushed back a bit, but we'll see.

It looks like the 50S is being replaced by a Mk2 later this year, the rumours are this will be same 50MP sensor fitted to the body of the 100S (no IBIS) - this will make the camera package slightly smaller, similar weight, different battery, but lose the tiltable EVF option. Also quite a lot of people have offloaded 50S's to get the 100S, so there are quite a number around s/h. Mine was an ex-demo camera (so effectively s/h, but I did get the full 2 year Fujifilm warranty on it)

The new 50S Mk2 is rumoured to be the cheapest MF digital camera when its launched which will put its price probably between £3500 and £3900, a s/h 50S is between £2000 and £2500 at the moment.

Ian,

I... although I wouldn't say no to trying out a CV50 for my Blad.

Based on my skill I don't deserve a CV50 and based on my finances I doubt I could afford one anyway, but this is the first digital thingy in a very long time that has made me raise one eyebrow all quizzical-like.

giphy.gif

Joe

advertisement

Back